My mother moved in with my wife and I about 9 months ago after my father passed away. Are there places where she could stay for a weekend or 2 to 3 weeks at a time? - AgingCare.com

My mother moved in with my wife and I about 9 months ago after my father passed away. Are there places where she could stay for a weekend or 2 to 3 weeks at a time?

I have requested that my sister take my mother for a weekend a month and when my wife and I take a vacation. She has only taken her twice in 9 months, and we need a break once in a while. To add to the problem, my sister is married to a sociopath who had blocked our phone numbers from being able call my sister’s home for 6 years until my father passed. As a result, I’m not comfortable having my mother stay with my sister for any period of time. There are three grandchildren that could assist, but I don’t feel it is their responsibility to care for their grandmother. I have a job that requires me to travel for 2 or 3 weeks every 6 months. I hate to burden my wife with taking care of my mother because my wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis. Until my mother doesn’t know where she is or who we are, she will continue to live with us. Are there temporary places where my mother could stay for a weekend or 2 to 3 weeks at a time?

17

Answers

oops, guess I answered this already and didn't remember! LOL sorry

Actually, Tjhformom is absolutely correct. In NJ, if mom has very little income, (she had only SSI) and little to no real funds in the bank, NJ pays for 3 weeks a year of respite care at a place of your choice (they do have certain ones to pick from). These 3 weeks can be broken up into one night at a time or all 3 together. I have no idea where you live, but I called our county board on aging and found out a mountain of info. Another thing, day care for mom was actually, $1.00 a day plus $1.00 a day for transportation. You really need to look into your county/state/town's resources. You may have to pay nothing to have her safe and your sanity restored.
As far as the grandchildren go, I honestly asked for help from my daughter and son-in-law with this for mom. I kindof traded off babysitting for their kids (my grandbabies) for them babysitting mom when needed for a weekend or a week. Might be worth asking. Hope this helped alittle and I sincerely hope you get some time together. You HAVE to have that in your situation. Makes for a happier marriage.

Call a few home care agencies. Our agency provides respite and overnight care and when you are out of town you can arrange for an aide to come in to assist your wife with your Mother's care

well they need to give us "something" for the money right?

Way to go, Bhenson! New Jersey's high taxes pay for many services for its citizens, and among them is day care ....just found this out!

tjh, here in NJ this is also possible but they pay for 100% if the elderly doesn't have much money. we could have used this 3x a year for 2 weeks at a time. I think everyone needs to check with their dept on aging to see what is offered. Daycare free was also offered for mom (0kay it was $1.00 for the bus) but that is also an option for time alone.

You can try calling your states agency on aging and see if they have respite care. You can also consider Adult day care which your mom could attend during the day a few times per week. Adult day cares are like social groups for elderly people that cannot stay home alone during the day or to help families get a break from the caregiving.
Sarah,

I was able to place my mother in a nursing home for respite and got a state grant to pay for 80%....check with your local agency on aging to see if this is possible for you...good luck

Everyone here offered great advice on respite care at your nearest assisted living community. Just keep in mind that some have limited the number of days someone can stay on a respite stay.
Good luck!

Respite care is available, but you might look for "in-home" caregiver. I have "companion sitter" for my husband while I work. If I need to visit my elderly mother out-of-state and if my husband is not up to going, I feel okay with companion sitter staying with him. He is comfortable at home and is used to them being here anyway.