Mom getting up at night. Is there a pill that will keep her asleep at night? - AgingCare.com

Mom getting up at night. Is there a pill that will keep her asleep at night?

She is getting up a couple times at night to use the bathroom. Every time I hear the buzzer I want to cry because I can't get back to sleep. I don't want to put her in a diaper because I don't want her to loose the sensation to go but something has got to give.

29

Answers

1 3
Christina, yes it is normal. My dad takes a water pill during the day and it is not unusual for him to get up 3 or 4 times each night. With my mom I had to get up with her. My dad is ok going by himself. When my mom started getting up 6 to 8 x per night and she was exhausted the next day is when I was slowly able to convince her to use the pull up so she would be more alert the next day. Wishing you good luck on your journey with your mom .

Wow some of you are super judgmental. I was just asking for a little advice not a guilt trip or lecture. Of course I want to do what's best for her and I do. I never make her feel bad. I use a buzzer because she is completely dependent on me to walk so no, I'm not going to unplug it or taking a sleeping aid myself, thanks. I just didn't know if it was normal to get up twice a night, especially when it happens randomly.

Any of you had kids? Newborns? remember what it was like with the first one, got up several times just to make sure they were still alive? By the 2nd and third you were just happy to get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep !! Same goes with our "loved one's", at first your more than happy to bend over backwards to ease their way thru and 6 months into it your like Seriously, you can't get your own coffee?

How's her sugar? Pull-ups wont stop her sensation or her going to the bathroom. Perhaps, melatonin, which would help her stay asleep and a pull-up. I actually use a pull-up plus a pad. If she's making it to the bathroom and back safely, maybe a sleeping pill for you is the answer. Or just no buzzer. I had a monitor in Mom's room for awhile, and used to get up every time I heard her move. I finally unplugged it.

Rails bumpers pull ups with pads and a sleeping pill

My Mom started with pads, then went to pull ups. She would get up in the middle of the night and fall, and it was a nightmare. I couldn't put the rails up on the hospital bed, I was afraid she would choke or get tangled in it. Anyway, we had to put her in a home, we had no other choice, Hardest thing I ever had to do.

You are so right, I fell asleep at the wheel not 3 miles from home and Mom was with me, I drove off the road at a place where it was grassy and I could back right back out the same way I went off but it could have been worse. Mom was asleep also and I guess our Angels were keeping track. I woke up right before a concrete sign stand and put on the break. So YES it is important for the caregiver to get enough rest also.

My mom wears pull ups and she still knows when she needs to go to the bathroom. They are a "just in case" thing. Also if a caregiver needs to do something to make care more convenient and it does not hurt their loved one, don't get so righteous. Someone who is working and has other responsibilities may need sleep to maintain their health. A sleep aid for a loved one is better than a dead caregiver

My Mom went through the same thing as yours Smschaff34, It took me 2 hours to get her convinced that it was not the next day. That is when I started the melatonin along with the Trazodone. The melatonin helps to adjust the metabolic clock to get back on the right time track.

Is this something new with your Ma? It was for my Ma last month, I took her to the doctor and found out it was a UTI. Ma suddenly became disorientated for about 2 weeks to the point that she was not only going to the bathroom she washing up, getting dressed, taking her morning pills and eating breakfast all by midnight. I had her change back to her night gown and put her back to bed and she would do it all again by 3am. We already had a Dr. appt for her chest congestion and I asked for a urine test then. You might want to check into this. Good Luck.

1 3