Pet therapy for elderly loved ones. What do you think?

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions about having pets in the home.Do you think they help or hurt your elderly loved ones.What are the advantages /disadvantages in having them in the house with your loved one..Do you think it helps with their emotional well being, exercising, overall mental/physical wellbeing.I start this discussion because of a post that was made to me by someone that thought. it was "disgusting" to have pets in the home with your elderly loved one. What do you guys think?

21

Answers

1 2 3
The 2 dogs have been outside to pee and gone back to bed. The cats are waiting to go out but it's not totally light yet so, even though I have yard lights and deck lights, they'll have to wait as there are coyotes around here. All is quiet. Dawn is such as lovely time of day.

Animals really have an impact on us dont they? Aww, your Rotty sounds like she was wonderful! How sweet :)

I found a kitten in a tree in a state forest near my home. Carried it under my shirt to keep it warm and away from dogs. The vet said it had all kinds of problems including ringworm and would have to be bathed daily. The cat did not go home with me and didn't leave the vet alive. For my part, I got ringworm on my stomach from where I carried him.

Ugh Ashlynne, so glad she found you! My giant dog found a 10 day old kit in the brush a few months ago and picked her up in her mouth and dumped the kit on my feet. Bottle fed baby for 5 weeks! LOL Now my son and DIL adopted her...lucky kitty too! What dumb ass would drop a 10 day old kit in a wooded park?????

I would never expect an elder to take care of a pet that was beyond their physical capabilities. When my mother came to live with me she already had the 2 dogs, she just wasn' t able to physically able to care for them properly. I didn't mind them coming with her, I already had 6 of my own. I love them both, the dogs that is. I clean up after them, take them to the groomers, vet etc. All she has to do is let them lay in her lap ,pet them, throw toys to them and food on the floor , I clean that up to. They help her mentally, also gets her off my back. I had a Rottweiler once, beautiful girl, took her to a rehab/NH, those old folks loved her, She was 110lb and very loving. People in wheel chairs were just about fighting with each other to get close to her. She would just lay that big old head in their lap and let them love on her.Their behavior brightened up,even for some became very talkative, it was just magical to see how their behavior opened up with that big dog.

Texarkana... This topic is definitely a great one, in my opinion. I must say there are pro's and cons. on the subject. My dog actually saved my mother's life, the dog stayed by mom's side whenever I was not there. A fire started in the house and my dog alerted Mom. Well I guess you could say they saved each other, Mom left the house with the dog, unfortunately my cat ran away and hid inside, lost her life. Then....As my Mom got diagnosed a few years after, I cared for her in my home, My cat (the one in my profile pic) played fetch every night with Mom. What a blessing to me and Mom, that was. That same cat would alert me whenever Mom wandered off alone. On that note, I would never leave a person who needs care themselves alone with a pet. I adopted a 10 year old dog because her master passed away. This dog is loving BUT...hyper, does not listen, barks at sneezes, airplanes, thunder BUT I take her to the Bark park she hangs out with the people not the dogs, when she's done socializing with humans she sits by the exit and can't wait to leave. I take her to the Nursing Home, she fights me when I want to leave, she is gentle and loving and calming to the residents. The oddest thing is, the Dementia residents who yell repeated words all day, they can have a very normal type conversation with the dog and I.

My mother was never a pet person. She tried many times , but it never worked out. Now that she is living with me, she is exposed to my 3 cats and loves it. She talks to them and likes to have them sit in her lap. I think for my mom she didn't like pets before because she really didn't get it. By that I mean she never looked deep enough to see how unique each dog or cat is so she never saw their personalities. Now that she is exposed to my cats and we've explained what they like and their personalities , she seems to get it. It's been a wonderful outlet for her to show love to them and to get love back. When my youngest cat gets on her lap she gets excited because he chose her to be with. She was one of those types who would have called a pet loving home "gross".

The pets are good for the caregiver too. They like me even when my LO doesn't. We have 2 dogs and 4 birds, plus right now we are cage sitting another bird. The birds add a nice cheerful sound to the house. The dogs have different needs and add their own variety to daily life. Having the birds where you can see them from wherever you spend a lot of time is entertaining as they fuss around their cages. Pets are a plus, plus, plus

Freq madam likes meat. She'll come out to play for a bit but keeps running back to her "house" to check her bowl. I have top quality kitten dry food but she's too young to handle it. Right now she's happy to eat 3 or 4 meat meals a day and sleep bless her heart.

The rest of the crew, all rescues over the years, know there's "someone" in the other room but they're not bothered at all. My big male, Charlie (Charles T. Cat, off the street when I lived in the city), loves kittens, especially the ladies though he doesn't remember why lol

The cat I inherited from my mother came from rescue and had kittens before that. Of course she's spayed and about 5, I wonder if she'll remember and take Lucy under her wing. We'll see. Whatever, she's home here furever.

I think pet therapy is terrific if the loved one likes pets. That said, I do not support bringing a pet into the home of elder who may have cognitive or physical limitations and expect them to care for the pet on their own.

This is cruel to the pet and could be dangerous to both the pet and elder.

If you have a pet and you want to visit with the pet with the elder, then by all means do so.

I think elders respond to animals positively and enjoy the company and companionship a pet can bring.

1 2 3