Looking at personal care homes for my Mom. What questions should I ask during tour? - AgingCare.com

Looking at personal care homes for my Mom. What questions should I ask during tour?

I am taking a tour of a Personal Care Home that my mom may move into next week if everything goes well. It is my first tour of a place for her, I know the basic questions but is there anything that maybe you didn't ask but wish you did when you were researching places?

My mom is 67 and has MS. She is now unable to stand and transfer herself so she now needs assistance with getting washed, dressed and moved from her scooter to bed or toilet.

This personal care home is a small place, 5 bedroom, 3 baths. I feel the small environment will be more comfortable for her, but I am nervous at the same time because since the staff is low, if there is only one person on and they don't do their work, there is no one else to fall upon.

22

Answers

1 2 3
Geez! 5:20 ratio is 1:4. And they cheat on the numbers at the places I have visited. Every employee is counted, kitchen staff, housekeeping, directors, rn's and caregivers. An able, trained body counts. Some places make a point of telling you that all staff are trained in dementia care. I wonder if that is required for their licensing to reach the ratios required by the state.

One thing I'd do is look at the patients do they look clean, well groomed, and happy. and are they awake? If they are getting their meds some may be sleepy but by far they should be at least responsive to your conversation. Ask them how they are? Ask them do they like the food and activities? Ask about staff? The residents are the best ones to give you the answers you seek. Best of luck.

I wish.The dementia wards deserve so much more.They can't do their jobs and keep track of people.If 2 are giving baths and ten are wandering it makes for scary business.That is why I try to go every day if I can.It's hard...very.

That is a terrible ratio! Her the best places try to maintain 1:5 or 6, for memory care.

Unfortunately that is the wait is in in Ontario Mallory,even in the best homes.
5 : 20+ ratio of caregivers to residents. :/

Just re-read the OP. Wow I would never choose a place that had only 1 person on, at times. Even if it is only 5 residents, what if there were a fire or tornado? One person cannot do it all. And what if they get sick? Little alarm bells in my head .

I'm sorry I didn't read that your Mother has MS, and is quite young.
Yes you need to find a place where they are able to deal with the physicality of her specific needs.

Where my Mom has been since Feb.28(in Ontario), is actually a friendly and caring place, yet most Long Term Care facilities here, are short staffed.1 nurse per shift, with 3-4 personal support workers to assist.That's for 20+ residents.
I think it all depends on your loved one's needs, and level of dementia if any, also ability to walk of course.If so, I would ask if her room can be closer to the nursing station, rather than far away.
With my Mom she hates everything: the food, her room, the people.
I her defence the food isn't great.Her room is fine, but not home.The people have severe dementia.They wander and steal her things.She doesn't understand why she can't talk to them and make them understand that they need to stay out of her room.
Mom has short term memory loss due to a stroke but it quite lucid and doesn't get why she can't go home.
It really depends on your mom's mind-set, health, and physical capabilities as to the questions you need to ask.
Also when does a doctor visit?
What about dental and vision?
Do they believe in restraining individuals?
What is their belief if Mom refuses meds?
Is there a dietician, if Mom won't eat?
Are you able to bring in extra care givers if you can't be present?
Yes...many many questions... *hugs* B

I would take what the residents might say about the place with a grain of salt... you could talk to one who is totally unhappy with the place and who will slam it left and right, but that's because the resident wants to be back living in their own home or their grown child's home. And/or some of the other residents have early stage of dementia and will say anything just to get attention.

I hear what terry jack is saying, but in my (limited) experience, I could not just walk in off . the street to any of the ALF I looked.at....they had a secure entrance with a guard, sign in, show ID, etc. I actually liked that (major metro.area) but maybe the six-pack model is different?

1 2 3