Personal amplification devices recommended?

Had my hearing tested and was told I have slight hearing loss in one ear, and I think it's getting worse. I often have a difficult time understanding what people say to me, especially if they are soft-spoken. I hate to keep asking them to repeat what they said. Hearing aids are too expensive, and I have heard that there are cheaper devices that work well. Anyone have experience with these devices or have ones they recommend?

5

Answers

The PSD will make sound louder but will not make adjustments to the specific sounds that you lost. They can have a high decibel range depending how you handle the volume so make sure you do not turn it higher than 85 dB or you will suffer more hearing loss. I wear hearing aids that "talk" to each other so that I can tell where sound originates. PSDs cannot do this. They cost about $30 to 50. Moms Alzheimers does not help for her to own hearing aids because she cannot take care of hers an she is in denial. However, I did purchase them for her to hear important things such as church or doctor office. They do work but not for long periods due to the earbuds which are not custom fit and eventually uncomfortable for long periods. I hope this helps

Used hearing aids? Hearing aids are moulded to your ears and tuned to your specific hearing deficits - that would be like buying used prescription glasses, how would that possibly work?

Check out Ebay or Craigs List for a used pair of hearing aids

The pocket talker by Williams Sound is highly rated.... I have no personal experience though.

Someone on forum were talking about a hearing aid thru TV Ears. If all ur problem is volume one of those "cheapies" may work. TV Ears has a website under that name.