Can people with dementia figure out that they have dementia? - AgingCare.com

Can people with dementia figure out that they have dementia?

Can people who have dementia issues figure out themselves that they have dementia issues? Is this possible? She (my mum) knows that I'm thinking something's wrong with her, she's aware of me watching her. I want to sit her down and question her so bad, but I'm afraid she would get hurt emotionally. She's humming around the houses so much now. Jesus the humming is sounding like a scary old women in a hunted house. I can't believe this is happening. She eats terrible. How is she able to drive and work at her job? Do people with dementia have the ability to still have a job???? Can people with dementia still able to drive a car? My mum does both......she gets home with no problems. She wakes up on time. She's 73 and moving good but I still see something wrong. Thank you

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
Have her checked for bladder infection. It's the number one cause for confusion in people over 70. It happens to my Mom every time she gets an infection or is dehydrated. Then when the bladder infection clears up, she's ok again, but it is scary because it comes on quite quickly.

My Mom is just starting with vascular dementia. That means it's an on and off thing, shows up then goes away, but is expected to cause longer periods of confusion. She DOES tell me that she's just not thinking right when she gets confused. She can carry on a sensible conversation, but to try to do a process like planning an event or balancing a checkbook, she can't do it. So she knows she is getting "memory problems". When she has bladder infections, she is just lost and screams at her kids that THEY are the ones thinking backwards and all mixed up and she has no idea that she is not reasonable or logical. So I guess in a while when she gets permanently more confused, first she will think it's everyone else, then she will become like my Dad was, unaware of much of anything or why things are happening. In the beginning, many are aware of thinking problems.

Pamstegma, how could you possibly give an answer like that to someone? Elderly try to hide their declining functions. Rich 2015 was trying for support. It sounds to me like his mother IS declining. I cannot believe how stubborn my parents are. My mother refuses hearing aids and glaucoma operation to clear her vision. My Dad will soon be blind with glaucoma from diabetes, and refuses to change his diet. I am only here with them as their daughter, but mom is very cold towards me and dad is insulting. Everyday day I swallow hurts, that are accumulating into resentment. I try to make sure their blood levels don't get too high, but they want to eat whatever they want. I have a sister who never helps out, and she is their favorite. Since mom had a stroke, I have been here 24/7 doing everything in the house and outside. Since I am retiring, this is not how I wished to spend my life. I have no social life. They refuse to have help come into the house. Any suggestions from anyone's?

Yes, they can know they have dementia. My husband told his family when he went back home to visit. Another lady regularly posts helpful insights on dementia and her personal experience with having it on a different site than this one. She is a tremendous help to all because she's one of the few who can describe what's happening to her and how she feels.

Hi caferun, My Mom keeps saying that she does not have it all up-stairs. I have to agree with her so the answer is YES they know.

Mom with alteizmers replied, "I don't know any better."

Maybe it's time for mom to have a complete medical workup, there could be something medical going on. Some disorders can mimic dementia or mental illness. Keep a notebook, write down each incident where mom is not 'herself', you will have it to refer back to should you need to. Do other people see her changing? Definitely speak with the doctor and encourage her to go in for a check up.

I hope you can get a mental health evaluation for your mother. My father began acting abnormally when he was 64; then he went completely insane. They diagnosed him as bipolar. It's very unusual to be diagnosed with a mental illness late in life. This is what you need to do. Go to http://www.nami.org/ and entire in your state and find your local chapter. Contact them. Most areas have hotlines for "mental health emergencies." If you are scared that your mother might hurt herself or others (on purpose or not), they will come out and talk to her, and they decide if she needs evaluation. They will take her to the hospital (it's rare for someone to agree to go). When my father was in the psych ward, there were also many patients with dementia and widows/widowers who were in trouble. It's often hard to tell dementia from mental illness. I still don't know 11 years later if my father just has bipolar with depression now or also has true dementia. They can be similar. A lot of things you described with your mom sound similar to things my father said/did. Good luck!

I can attest to that, partsmom. My 94 year old mother with dementia (not severe at this point, but bad enough) has been making her own cup of instant coffee for so long that assembling the ingredients, filling the kettle, shutting off the stove when it comes to a boil, pouring the right amount of water to leave room for cream, etc., is all second nature to her. I'm always concerned that she'll get a steam burn or leave the stove on, but she never skips a beat. Other aspects of her life? She's more like a 4 year old and in some cases a toddler!

Someone with a job where their routine has been the same for many years is probably capable of continuing for a surprisingly long time. With dementia, often older memory is still there for quite a long time. They don't make fresh memory well, which means they usually can't learn anything new.

1 2 3 4