My 71 y/o dad has been out of the hospital now for a little over a week. Pre existing conditions are strokes, COPD, hypothyroidism and he’s on blood thinner. Went from 160 lbs to 117 lbs and he’s 5’11”. He had a PEG Tube placement over his hospital stay. He’s been home now for about a week and things have been going well with the PEG Tube. Home Health Nursing has been out to help and check him twice already. Last nite a couple hours after our meeting with that nurse, he ate a little ice cream. He tried to fall asleep in his recliner (he can’t lay flat on a bed) but he never fell asleep. This was due to severe throbbing pain around the site of the PEG Tube.
There is no external bleeding and the Tylenol took the pain away for about 45 minutes at around 2:30 am. Then the pain came back. He was recommended to go to the ER to get X-rays/CT Scans. He agreed to go and is now saying he took more Tylenol just now and wants to wait an hour to see if the Tylenol helps. He is aware that the Tylenol will only MASK the pain, but he still wants to do this. I’ll be calling him from work (my mom is home with him) in about 45 minutes to see if things have improved or if he’s going to go to the ER as recommended. Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this sudden pain? Could it have been the ice cream? He hasn’t eaten a whole lot orally just yet since the PEG Tube placement. Again he’s on blood thinners and DID have complications with heavy bleeding after the procedure as he was on Plavix while they did it. But they did get it stopped at that time and determined there was no hematoma present. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!