If I'm paying the insurance, taxes and upkeep will that be returned to me when my Mom passes before Medicaid get money back? - AgingCare.com

If I'm paying the insurance, taxes and upkeep will that be returned to me when my Mom passes before Medicaid get money back?

Mom is in nursing home for long term care. I am paying insuranrce, taxes, and upkeep on her "home" which I have been told is exempt. Will I get any of this back when she expires? thank you in advacne for your help

3

Answers

theresahenson, is anyone still living in the house? If the answer is *no*, the home insurance company needs to be notified that the house is vacant, which means higher premiums for you to pay... if they aren't notified and there is some future damage, the insurance company might not pay. If the house is empty you need to have the house *winterized*.

Do a title search on the property. There may already be a lien on it from Medicaid.

Keep careful records of those expenses. The property is only exempt until it is sold, or she dies. After her death MERP will recover any Medicaid payments from her estate. You will need proof of those expenses so the estate can pay you back.

• MFP through Medicaid is a special program that helps seniors avoid being institutionalized. The grant money has allowed states to set up an infrastructure to determine which nursing home patients are most likely to benefit from a move from an institutional setting.
  • Applying for Medicaid for an aging parent can be tricky. One caregiver describes his personal experience navigating the system.
  • It can be difficult to determine whether certain assets count toward Medicaid's $2,000 limit. As always, classification of countable and exempt assets varies from state to state, but retirement accounts can complicate Medicaid planning even further.