My patient will not keep their depends on what can I do? - AgingCare.com

My patient will not keep their depends on what can I do?

I am a caregiver.

12

Answers

Any kind of incontinence protection has a waterproof outer cover and these are hot and make the skin damp even if the garment itself is not soliled. The insert can also bunch up and become very uncomfortable causing sore areas to form which are sensitive when a new garment is applied. Women, think sanitary napkins, before tampons became the norm.
Nobody needs to post redirections for me. I do have personal and professional experience.
The pull ups are the most comfortable but they do not hold as much as the side tab ones. however the side tabs are more difficult to get on.
If a patient is pulling off side tabs reinforce with a length of duct tape.
When the side tabs are not put on firmly enough there is leakage round the legs especially with diarrhea. Not an easy problem to solve so if you find something that works for you run with it. One of those situations where there is no right or wrong way. The onsies are an excellent idea.

I use an anti-strip jumpsuit - zips from top down into a pocket, snaps at top. Use depend brief w/cotton brief over the depend. Keeps the depend from slipping down when heavy w/urine. Fully encased mattress cover w/reusable urine pad under sheet. Also found corner straps for sheets for those patients who like to strip their beds of their linens. You just keep trying till you find something that helps with new problems as they arrive. My husband is 63 - I'm 68. We've been dancing this dance since diagnosis almost 5 years ago. I'm so tired.

Cricket is right on about free samples. I went to Walgreens and made a list of every thing I might use and went to the Websites and just asked for samples. They are more than happy to send samples and coupons. Good luck

Ohdear, I meant that plastic pullups used over briefs or adult diapers can increase heat and bacteria.

ooops: "They are ___not___ stiff and noisy whatsoever. Sorry about that mistype! They look like or perhaps are the same thing that they put atop the beds for most folks while they are in the hospital.

Glad you mentioned that, ohdear ~ Targets and yes, even the places like Amazon or Target etc carry dry/plastic mattress covers. They are stiff and noisy whatsoever. But they really are a Godsend when needing to protect the mattress from unexpected moisture. [didn't i word that nicely? :) ] Also, there are the blue plastic sheets that you can lay across the bottom sheet, for added protection. These come in handy for people of any age -- i'm sorry it's a regular occurrence for the original post [forgot to sign in again] ... and for everyone in needing to help family members in this personal area of their lives. But honestly - you've really got a BIG heart and a GOOD rapport with your Dad in order to be able to have a direct unencumbered conversation about his personal needs. Bless your heart! If you want just one sheet - i've seen them very inexpensively at Target [twin mostly - but nothing wrong with using two twins or so and overlapping: a quick fix. Med supplies stores will be more expensive, but Target or Walmart may be a quick solution until you can obtain a regular change or so through a mail order company. As a caregiver, your time and patience and emotions are going to NEED nurturing and quietude: grab whatever 'me' time you're comfy with. i just can't leave Mom home alone, at all - i don't know if she'd fall or forget the stove is on etc. Call a few companies perhaps - and don't be afraid to ask for the samples: briefs, pullups, an added insertable pad for nighttime use, the 'plastic' or waterproof sheet, the blue pads to layer atop the bottom sheet for sleep time - etc. Amazon lists their source's contact numbers [or they are easily obtained] and i found the one for the manufacturers for Prevail, Depends, and for Drugs or even Total Home Care. The advantage of home delivery is that you don't have to worry about trying to schedule doc visits, rx pickups, time for yourself, laundry, cooking, administering rx, -- can you minimize some chores and 'outsource' those - like getting the incontinence aids delivered? it will probably be less costly, for certain, and more available and timely delivery. i'd had to order specific items for someone dear, and their company offered solutions i didn't even know existed. Bless your heart - please let us know how you fare. And perhaps the DX that he has an enlarged prostate could make the cost of incontinence aids/diapers etc covered by Medicare PtB -- it never hurts to ask! Sometimes the company will work directly with the insco, even Medicare and your Dad's doctor if you wish. Glad we can be of some help and encouragement. Thank you - sending hugs your way - did you catch it?

Carebill, I dispute the source that told you pullups can increase heat and bacteria. I am feeling this can happen more with briefs aka adult diapers. A person is wrapped up like a package in briefs in non porous plastic. The inner absorbent material is thick pad extending from front to back. The pullup is much more airy and with much less padding, that occupies space much like a panty liner does. That is why with a pullup more frequent changing is necessary . With someone who is usually a heavy wetter an additional insert is beneficial. The best thing if at all possible is to bladder and bowel train.Some of the most confused people still know when they are sitting on a toilet and if nothing else will urinate. If your person cannot be bladder and bowel trained then note when they are most likely to go . What ever method you chose that works best for the Individual the outcome will be to maintain their skin integrity. Also if they still continue to tear off their briefs or pullups you will be dealing with less of a mess to clean up. If the person is confused and in bed , you could try placing the brief under them spread out and open. Putting one back on them right away might just reagitate them. This will cause the brief to be pulled off all over again.

Sorry, i commented but i think it went to another question. People will think i'm nuts when they read it.

I was asking Iynntech where can you purchase 'onies'?

If you're using the pull-up kind of diaper that is easy for the patient to pull down and off, I would suggest switching to the diapers that wrap around the patient and are secured with tape or sometimes velcro. These are harder for the patient to shimmy out of. If you're already using the latter, yes, try and put some pull up underwear over the diaper, although I've been told plastic underwear isn't recommended because it can increase heat and bacteria. Good luck!

My mom is in a nursing home with alzheimer's and always was putting her hands down her depends and making a mess. I purchased a onies (like what a baby wears) for her. It snaps at bottom and top has worked great. You wear under your regular clothes. May help for your problem.