She has power of attorney.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Well, the facility does an evaluation based on medical records, MD opinion, and interview with the patient themselves. You don't just walk up to the door and book a room. I think I would trust their evaluation. He may not think he is ready, most dementia patients think they are just fine.
Helpful Answer (1)

erikyork, I see in your profile you are caregiving for a friend who has Alzheimer's/Dementia. It could be that the daughter had her Dad on a waiting list for a certain Assisted Living/Memory Care facility. Those waiting lists can be long, and the wait could be a year.

As Churchmouse and Carala had mention, sometimes it is best to move someone into Assisted Living/Memory Care while the patient can still learn his way around, learn the Staff, and create new friendships.

My elderly father was on the journey into dementia, so he moved to a senior facility which he really loved, and he wished he would have moved there much sooner. He got into a routine which is very important for those with memory issues.
Helpful Answer (0)

The daughter has financial and legal authority, to be carried out for the benefit of her father, not her. Maybe she needs to be reminded of that, by her father.

You're very kind and conscientious to advocate for your patient, but be careful of getting into a family issue; the daughter may retaliate against you.
Helpful Answer (2)

Agree with Churchmouse, especially the last line. Consider the advantages of the move taking place now when he is still in relatively good shape.

As a practical matter, though, he cannot be moved against his will unless he is declared incompetent. In order to prevent any payments being made to the facility under the POA, though, he may need to revoke the daughter's POA.

POA gives you control over the person's assets such as bank accounts, but not the person. You need legal guardianship, which relies on a court determination of the person's incompetence, to gain control over the actual person.
Helpful Answer (3)

By demonstrating that he has mental capacity and is able to understand his decisions and their consequences. If that is the case, his daughter cannot override *him*, is the point.

Are you sure that it is in your patient's best interests for you to support him in this? If so, perhaps you could ask his doctor to advocate for him. If not, be very careful; and especially consider the advantages of a move to assisted living while he is still in comparatively good shape.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter