I am a paid caregiver thru a company. My patient who has no living family, never been married, no children has asked me to have POA for her? - AgingCare.com

I am a paid caregiver thru a company. My patient who has no living family, never been married, no children has asked me to have POA for her?

I do not know if this is even legal in the state of Alabama. what do I tell her? need info asap

2

Answers

I think the local department on aging needs to be informed about her and somehow have her to become a ward of the state at some point.

No, not legal, a total conflict of interest and your employer would frown on it as well. Talk to your supervisor about "conflicts of interest".

• Two common scenarios are when a caregiver no longer wishes to be POA and when a family member wants to challenge the legality of a POA’s actions. Changes are dependent on the principal’s competency, how the document is written and the desired outcome.