Hi,

My father is 82 years old, and he currently lives with me. He has had Parkinson's for a long time now, and recently he started having hallucinations and delusions.

He would see small children standing at the foot of his bed, or a heavy object sitting on his head. The most frequent episode that recurs every 10 minutes or so is when lies in bed, he would keep screaming that he is falling and raise his arms and his leg ups involuntarily.

The only thing I could do now is playing along with him, and cam him down by holding his hands in mine, or massaging his legs. However, the moment I stop, the episode would start all over again. It really breaks my heart to see him that situation, and I feel so helpless.

He used to be on carbidopa 4 times a day and 2 tablets each time, but now his Doctor advised to cut it down to just one tablet each time. That did not seem to help so far.

Does anyone have any tips or care for a loved one that has that same delusion?

Thank you so much for your help!

Timmy

The hallucinations are from the medication. The person I cared for would see people and a d@mn cat. Since she had mobility and balance issues, her trying to not step on the cat increased falls. My advice would be to make sure the house is properly equipped for safety. See if you can get a hospital bed where he is not positioned completely flat.
Reply to tacy022
TimmyTX Jan 1, 2019
Thanks tacy022.

i did have one of those Invacare full electric bed with full size rails on both sides.

I am just amazed at how quickly things can go badly with this disease. When he has those episodes, he would not be able to recognize me or anyone else. I guess that hursts the most.

the last visit to his MD reveals he was losing weight and dehydrated. This is due to his swallowing is now becoming a struggle, and he completely lost appetite. That and the risk of him getting aspiration pneumonia makes me seriously consider the option of putting the feeding tube in his stomach.

thanks again for replying. I take comfort in knowing I am not the only one in this situation.
(0)