Anyone out there with a 90+ parent who has gotten a bladder pacemaker?

Wondering what your experience has been. This and botox are the two options being recommended. We are hesitant to try either.

20

Answers

Hi I received the bladder pacemaker about two weeks ago if you have a good doctor I totally recommend it I go normally now but mine was done by the number urologist in Canada

Thanks, sherry1anne. We'll give that a try.

The alternative to the Depends is the Walmart brand. It ends up costing about half as much as Depends. It's generic. The color is lilac rather than peach. Mother seems to like them better than the Depends.

I agree, Samara, that there needs to be a better solution than the dollar Depends. Mom likes the Tena overnight ultra/max pads, and the Poise hourglass ultra/max pads, but they are sometimes hard to find. When I shop they are often sold out.

I agree, Patrice2oz, re: "Can they do surgery, the answer is yes. Should they do surgery, is what you need to think about." If this were 4-5 years ago, I do think I would back mom if she wanted to try the implanted pacemaker as she was much stronger then and mentally more together. She is so frail now; I can't imagine her going through any invasive procedure that is not absolutely essential. I was really annoyed last week when I took my mom to the dermatologist for a suspicious growth (looked melanoma-ish to me), only to find it was not suspicious at all, but while there, the PA could not help but find a few little things to quickly freeze off (not invasive, I know, but still--was it imperative?); did not even ask mom whether she could freeze them off. Had she asked, we probably would have said no (The GP said not to worry about anything but melanoma at this stage).

My advice to all of us 'yungins' is to do our Kegels. I think they can have great benefit at any age.

My mom at 90+ had Botox, which didn't work, so they did more tests and concluded also that a higher dose of Botox would also not work (they start with a small dose and increase for more effect). Also note the Botox if it does work, wears off. ...so knowing how long it took to get the appointment 6-10 weeks you would be back in Depends waiting for your next Botox, twice a year, that's a good portion of year to be wet! So they offered the interstim, and honestly, mom was so NOT into having invasive (her perspective) exams "down there" she just gave up.
I myself have a bit of stress incontinence and wear a thin liner, and wonder what & when I will be like my mom, some day.
I just wish the Depends didn't cost a buck apiece. And nothing washable/reusable is out there.

Hi Tvidos, thank you so much for sharing your problems. I think you might be telling me that I might be very blessed to be a little younger than your parents!
I do have memory problems, but I hope I would remember or notice if the battery went out.

My Dad got an intesteim unit implanted but still takes medication. It worked good for awhile. His memory started fading & he wouldn't let my Mom help him adjust it to a higher level. This is done with a little unit from outside & he claimed it hurt. Now, the battery has died & he wears men's adult pads. Sometimes he forgets to change them so now it is a real sticky subject. At his age, since he didn't even know about the battery being dead, when the people checked of course, they wanted to replace the battery..another procedure. We declined. He had just had a new heart pacemaker & that is probably what helps him live now. My Mom had a bladder sling done yrs ago & she got really sick & coughed a lot & she thinks it didn't hold & she wears extra long panty liners & has for yrs. I wish you luck & you are a lot younger so maybe it will get adjusted & so will you to it.

I am just getting into this bladder thing. I had the bladder sling surgery, and not much as changed except I don't squirt anymore when I sneeze or laugh, which I don't do much of right now. I have read all of your writings and must confess I thought it all very scary. I too have been offered the Botox, and the bladder pacemaker. I am wearing pads & diapers and I am also quite sore from wearing them. I don't know any other way to protect myself. I am only 75 instead of being the age of your parents, I hate to think of what lies ahead. Oh, forgot to mention that I still take Vesicare now because I pee so much & so often. I am taking it because it was the only way to get some control. I was taking 5mg before surgery, now I am taking 10mg. I go back to have another Urodynamic study in Dec, and then I will find out what is all available, and try to make a decision. Good luck to all of you, and thanks for posting all of this information. Bunny

For the UTI problems, I use a mixture of herbs available at the local health food stores. Don't know if this would help in this situation or not. The one I use is called "Kidney Support" I think. It has corn silk, horse tail, usa uvi. and cranberry extract.