Elderly parent hallucinates, has renewed driver's license, and has guns in the home. Any advice?

My mother is at her wit's end. He has a history of heart condition, eye problems, skin cancer, and more recently, kidney disfunction. The hallucinations originally began months ago and tests revealed a kidney problem, which medication helped and thus relieved the hallucinations. The overlying problem is this: he "forgets" or refuses to take all of his medications reliably and the hallucinations have returned. There are guns in the house and Mom hid the key to the cabinet, but he literally insisted she make it available because he thinks people are prowling. He has had his driver's license renewed recently by mail (this is a major issue that should be addressed, and not just in this instance but for anyone like him) and insists on driving even though he has had THREE fender bender incidents lately just on our property! He insists that there are people stealing things from the barn, sees people in the house that aren't there, and blames everyone else for everything he thinks is out-of-place or broken. Memory loss and cognition have definitely been an issue for the last year and it is simply getting worse. He has had an MRI and there are no indications of stroke, he passed an Alzheimer's test with flying colors, and in general appears to just be a slightly addled old man in public. My questions are: What legal resources are there to remove this dangerous individual from the roadways? What can be done when the symptoms of a probable kidney problem re-appear (aka hallucinations) and the Dr. doesn't have an available appointment for weeks? Where can we turn for immediate help in this instance??? We can't wait for weeks to have supportive services or counselor assigned.

28

Answers

1 2 3
I had a very similar problem about the guns. I asked a retired law enforcement friend to come get the guns to "clean" them. He took them to a gun store, they were sold and the $ deposited into parent's account. I gave the ammo to the police (I called, they came out). Get the guns away from the guy...if he doesn't shoot somebody accidentally, the cops may shoot him. Regarding the driving, ask his physician to report him to the department of motor vehicles; they will call him in for an actual test and will forbid him to drive home if he fails it. If the doctor says they can't talk to you because you are not authorized, tell the staff member she doesn't have to say a thing, you are going to tell her a few things and spill the beans on the driving and the guns while you are at it. In the meantime, you may be able to disable the car (flatten the tires, etc). Mom 'lost' her keys (the neighbor kept them from her).

Support doesn't always come wrapped in cooing language that lets you stay in your own cocoon while you mull over your issues. Sometimes a splash of cold water or a north wind can clear out the fog and let you see the way forward. When your own words are repeated back to you they probably sound harsh. Maybe it's my experience in investigating child abuse cases that makes me call 'em as I see 'em. When you have people in harm's way, do something about it. Good luck.

SweetSorrow, since we are not face to face with the person writing the original postings or follow-ups, thus to be able to read facial expressions, we can only go by what each of us here thinks is happening in the household. And to grab bits and pieces from our own experiences or experiences of others.

If everyone thought the same way, we wouldn't need these types of forums.

On another note, now that your Dad has been diagnosed with dementia, there now will be better understanding why he is doing or will be doing the things he does. But note, your Dad won't understand why he can't drive or have his firearms. At least now legally you and your Mom know what you both can do to make it safer for everyone.

vegaslady, your original answer gave me pause for thought of something I hadn't considered. For that I thank you.
We needed to discuss this amongst ourselves. After all, there is a lot involved in making these kinds of decisions.
Your following "answers" were accusatory and riddled with unnecessary drama and for that I don't thank you one bit.

So, yes... in a way you were right. In another way, following a forceful course of action may have created more problems and that isn't/wasn't an option.
A fortuitous (kind-of?) turn of events facilitated exactly what we all wanted without forcing the issues.

As it was, it has been a very emotional and exhausting weekend for all of us. Things could have turned out much differently.

Just a suggestion: tone it down a notch.

Hmmm, five days ago I suggested getting him to the ER, notifying authorities that he shouldn't be driving, and getting the guns away from him. Good, glad that it happened.

Sounds like it has all worked out for the best for everyone involved - with no violence involved. Thank goodness!! I'm glad you and your mom got the answers and support you needed. Thanks so much for updating us. Keep us posted on how things are going. Hugs to you and your mom and dad. His world must be very scary now for him if he senses his brain is going, so I can feel for him too.

Update: My Mom did take him to ER this weekend (finally! If I had been anywhere near, I would have done it myself)
They did a CT scan and blood work up and in the waiting for results he decided he'd had enough and wanted to go home.

Long story short, he vanished and no one could find him so they called the sherriff's office. Turns out he just walked out of the building because Mom wouldn't drive him home nor give him the keys.

Someone saw him walking on the highway and took him home.

The Dr. has diagnosed him with "dementia" so now has a legal obligation to inform the DMV that his license should be revoked. The sherriff's office is also now involved and he cannot have access to firearms. My Mom can now pursue home care so that she can have access to periods of respite and "back-up".

Ba8alou, I was turning to other people that have similiar problems for suggestions precisely because I am only human and can't possibly think of everything.

My anguish over the thought that he would hurt someone else (or himself) is what prompted me to this site.

This person wasn't a particularly pleasant individual to deal with when mentally healthy and has only been less and less pleasant with this progression. I would Never, Ever have put my mother in a situation where she would bear the brunt of his frustration and anger any more than necessary. She is already coping with a bitter, angry, confused person and forcing the situation may very well have led to physical violence.

IMHO there is always a better way to do things, and maybe the outcome for this particular situation is the best we could have hoped for.

I just reread your original post and the last one. A couple of thoughts...
"Passed an Alz test with flying colors"? Was this the who is the president remember these words? It's called a mini mental and it does not rule out dementia. Get an appointment for a neuropsychological workup, which measures overall cognitive functioning and reasoning.

If you take him to urgent care the presenting condition is "altered mental status" I'm like you, I always think I need to have it all figured out before I took mom. I've gotten over that.

Guns and altered mental status are not a good combination, I completely understand not wanting to rob an elder of his dignity or lifelong passion. My dad died a few days after his doctor told him he was no longer safe to drive; I think it killed his will to live. But he/and we didn't have to deal with the ongoing life long horror and guilt of dad having an accident that hurt or killed others. This is a situation in which the rights of the many may outweigh the rights of the one.

Good wishes! We try to be helpful here but we're only human.

Many suggestions here and other conversations that I have read in this thread have been very calming and helpful in determining a course of action.

Participants beware:

There are some nuggets of wisdom here as well as some not-so-helpful responses.

Take them all with a grain of salt and good luck to us all!!

Apparently you don't want dad to feel increased helplessness and fear with law enforcement taking away his guns, but that is okay for mom. You are trying to guilt mom into taking him to the hospital, trying to convince her that SHE is causing him irreparable harm to HIS Kidneys. Poor mom.

1 2 3