In a years time mom stopped speaking, barely walking now as well. Anyone else's parent declining this rapidly? - AgingCare.com

In a years time mom stopped speaking, barely walking now as well. Anyone else's parent declining this rapidly?

She is bent over constantly and chokes a lot. We have had to lock her ands dogs meds up because she gets it all mixed up. And she's developed OCD about certain things. Even neurologist thinks she's rapidly worsening but latest. Brain scan didn't appear to show any marked changes. She's starting to have a few accidents but. We can't tell if its just that she couldn't get there in time? Newest trend us going to bathroom every 20 min. And chasing us outside when we leave for work. Clearly she's not mentally understanding everything anymore. Worried about how much longer she has and how much longer before she can't be cared for at home. She fell as she does a lot but this time fractureed her nose. Scared for her. Still don't know how it happened cuz she can't say anything and we were home!

34

Answers

1 3 4
Jackyorrick: I hope you are looking into what your state offers in the way of help for your situation. Contact your county Department of Aging. You need help! I feel so bad for you both - I can't imagine the horror of someone having to clean up after me (and I hope I never do!); I did have to do that a few times for my Mom and even though I raised 3 kids and wiped lots of behinds in those days, it is not the same when doing it for an adult. Please don't feel guilty! You're not alone. You AND YOUR HUSBAND need to focus on finding out what resources are available in your state. Good luck - I'll be thinking of you.

vikilynn....bless your heart....I know it has been a very sad and emotional time for you...as norestforweary said, hold onto the good memories and know you did all you could...and now at last...peace...I will keep all of you in my prayers..God bless and comfort you.

vikilynn... I am sure it has been quite an emotional last few days....... Try and hold onto to the "good" memories....... know you did a good job.... and peace for her at last!

To all you wonderful caregivers and advice assisting hero's.... I wanted to let you all know my mom lost her battle. We buried her today. I really appreciate all the support you have given me. I wish all of you the best and am still here to help you should you need anything. God bless

Jeannegibbs, it has been hard for me physically and emotionally taking care of Mom. She is my husband's mother not mine but we have been close for many years. I used to take her shopping and to lunch regularly when we lived in California. Both her daughters and eldest son have died so she thinks of me as her daughter which is kind of nice as I lost my mother when I was 18. The problem is, I don't want to be her nurse. We've gone from being buddies to me doing everything for her including bathing and cleaning up her accidents and changing her Depends. She does sleep through the night and if she can still stand up and walk after rehab she can step in and out of her Depends but she gets frequent bouts of diarrhea and can't get to the bathroom fast enough and I get to clean up the mess and her. I literally gag and she gets upset and apologizes in tears . I tell her it's ok and just an accident but it's tough. If she gets to the point where she can't walk any more, I can't do it.

All it takes is mini strokes to decline. Try asking the doc to wean her off the meds. If that's not it medicare will get you a hoyer lift. I love it and use it all the time for moving my mom. Good luck.

I'm sorry for your Mom's seemingly rapid decline. I can tell you that my Mom also has had a fairly rapid decline and in fact, since Christmas, has gone from being in her reclining chair and able to get up to go to her potty chair to now being totally bedfast and unable to do anything. She was eating full meals just before Christmas and just as suddenly will only drink Ensure, Boost, puddings, milk, applesauce, and things with that texture. All of this happened right after surger from a fractured ankle when she just went down as she stood up....It has been heartbreaking. I have gone from believing I would have her with me for years to now fearing losing her sooner rather than later....She is so frail...she currently has a bad cold and I and the hospice nurse are monitoring it closely as anything can turn major so quickly with our elderly loved ones...Many prayers and hope for you and your Mom...I understand...

jackyorrick, mentally Mom is not bad, but she can't translate what she is told about using the walker into action. Sounds like maybe there is both mental and physical decline.

Is it time for NH? How is the caregiving situation for you? Does she sleep through the night? Do you have some regular respite? What are her physical declines and how comfortable are you handling them? Can she cooperate with cleaning up her incontinence or is she dead weight?

Often whether a person is "ready" for NH is a matter of what the caregiver can deal with. Most people with dementia do reach a point where it just isn't feasible to be cared for by one person in a private home. Either in-home help or a care center is needed. If you think Mom is approaching that state, then moving into an NH from rehab might be the easiest way to do it. Good luck to you both.

I had Mom diagnosed with early stages of dementia and her doctor immediately put her on Rispiredone and Donezapil. Within days she stopped hallucinating and her cognitive thinking was almost back to normal. She understands that she was " crazy talking", her words, and that none of it happened now. My concern though is the incontinence and the lack of mobility in the past eight months. She can walk with a walker but shuffles bent over and pushes it in front of her like a baby buggy putting all her weight on it so it will barely move. I have told her how to use it correctly, as have her doctors, therapists, sons and everyone else who sees her doing this but she just won't get it. Mentally she's not doing bad but physically she's declining steadily. Any thoughts on this? Time for NH after rehab this time?

Vickilynn, you and the MD don't seem to be on the same page. Accept the fact that she is going down hill quickly and ask the Hospice nurse what to expect over the next few days and weeks. No one can give you a time table, but being bedridden and unable to swallow means the gates of Heaven are close by.

1 3 4
  • Millions of people are affected by pain, tingling and numbness of the hand and wrist due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Although surgery for this syndrome is quite common, it may not always be necessary.