What does it take to become a paid family caregiver in Texas? - AgingCare.com

What does it take to become a paid family caregiver in Texas?

My grandfather is an old vet. He is disabled now, but I'm not sure if he's receiving SSI or not. My uncle (oddly, we're the same age) asked how he could quit his job and become a paid caregiver to my grandpa and I'm trying to steer him in the right direction but this information is confusing. What does it take to become a PAID family caregiver in Texas- probably off Medicare?

4

Answers

Kessy, you mentioned your Grandfather was a Veteran. I found this section here on Aging Care that might be helpful for you. https://www.agingcare.com/Veterans-Assistance

My grandfather doesn't have any LTC insurance or any inheritance.

Something like that. I was hoping there was something through the VA (very confusing) or Medicare rather than signing up for something else- Medicaid.

Are you asking if the State would pay a caregiver? Or will Grandfather pay the caregiver from his own pocket? Please note that Medicare will not pay for caregiver services.... Medicaid will pay for some hours if your Grandfather qualifies for Medicaid.

• Seniors who depend on a fixed income to fund their retirement are vulnerable to inflation, but proper planning and investing can safeguard their spending power.
  • A roundup of web-based and mobile financial tools that will help you monitor your money, budget better and save more.
  • Tips for how caregivers can talk about money and finances with elderly parents. Financial discussions shouldn’t be taboo as your parents age. Failing to talk about money matters with your parents could put you in a difficult position when it’s time to take over their financial decisions.
  • Bells are ringing all over town as charities ramp up appeals for holiday donations. Use these simple strategies to give confidently and maximize your charitable efforts this season.
  • There are undeniable benefits to purchasing an annuity, but there are many different types. Careful planning and consideration are required to find one that is the best fit for your financial situation.
  • Many common retirement myths are completely false and end up harming your financial situation. With proper planning, you can help your parents continue to create wealth until their retirement and beyond. Avoiding overly conservative financial decisions can truly pay off.