Our german shepherd is becoming more protective of me as my husband's dementia seems to be becoming worse. Any ideas? - AgingCare.com

Our german shepherd is becoming more protective of me as my husband's dementia seems to be becoming worse. Any ideas?

3

Answers

Ginjoh, I can understand a pet doing that. For your dog, she probably doesn't really recognize your husband any more as his personality has changed, especially if he is becoming aggressive to you and others. Or she is confused if your husband wants her to do something that isn't a regular routine.

Is your hubby yelling at you or putting his hands on you out of aggression? If so, you may find your dog wanting to protect you even more. It may be time to start thinking about finding continuing care for your husband.

Thank you for responding. She isnt aggressive but more protective and it makes him sad.
Reply to Ginjoh01

If you feel your GS is dangerous to your husband you need to take action to either get your pet trained to obey your commands or find him or husband another home. Don’t wait for a tragedy to occur. I’m assuming that is your concern. 
Reply to 97yroldmom