I'm a caregiver and on Medicaid. Will I lose the house once mom dies?

The lawyer who put mom's house in a trust says I will lose the house now that I'm on Medicaid once I inherit it. He says I need to pay Medicaid back. I understand this, but I have nothing else. I applied for Obamacare after I lost my job, but was told I didn't qualify and was placed on Medicaid. I've now been on it for about 3 years and take care of my mom full time. She is handicapped and I must be with her 24/7. I'm so afraid of what's going to happen to me once mom dies. I'm 54, mom's 90. Yes I will find work, but I will only earn minimum wage and will not make enough to pay the taxes so I can't keep the house just by living in it. I have to sell it. My question is, has anyone else lost their inheritance to Medicaid and how did they survive it? The house is all I have. I have siblings, but they could not be burdened with the taxes either. Thanks so much.

24

Answers

1 2 3
I am pretty well educated, but all of this sounds very complex and scary to me. Please seek out your state office for senior care and/or elder law (probably in your local law school). I wish you the best of luck.

Crepella: You're welcome!

Thanks to everyone again for all of their feedback. I really appreciate it.

Crepella, the home is usually a non-countable asset, but please check out the link that JessieBelle mentioned.

You really need to find an attorney who knows more about Medicaid. Yours is a rather complex story.

See if a trust for you can be set up now so that the proceeds from the sale of the house go directly into a trust to care for your needs. I think this works as long as you never have access or control of the money from your inheritance. You do need an attorney to do this correctly. Good luck and bless you for being there for you Mom.

Yes please, don't get ur Medicaid's mixed up. The guidelines for just health insurance r not the same for nursing home care. My nephew has Medicaid as a supplement to Medicare, he is disabled. Since he works for the ARC he is allowed to make up to $20,000. At the time he reapplied, he had $6000 in the bank. He has a Special Needs Trust that can't be figured in his income but Medicaid's aware of it. My cousin is disabled and allowed to live in his Mom's house where he was living at the time of her death. She received SSI and Medicaid HI. There is a lean on the house and has to be satisfied if he sells. I thought putting something in trust was to protect the house from Medicaid so it could be passed on. Why would now, if u inherit Medicaid can put a lean on it.

Medicaid expansion is INCOME based only. If you earn less than 138% iirc of the federal poverty level then you qualify. It doesn't matter if you have a million dollars or 50 houses. If you don't earn over the marker, you are approved.
Regular Medicaid is MEANS based- you need to report all your income and assets aka your means. If you fall within the state limits, you are ok. If you don't, you have different options but you don't have to worry about that. This type of Medicaid does attempt to get paid back later.

Oh, good to know. I thought SSI was social security. So much to know and understand. Thank you for the websites. For some reason I still don't understand the concept of means based as opposed to income based. Probably because I don't have any assets. Thanks so much again. I greatly appreciate the advice.

I agree with others who have have said that lawyer doesn't understand the Medicaid Estate Recovery Program. Just ask the agency providing your MedicAid. They can explain it to you. And, if your Mom is getting $1300 a month she's not on SSI (Supplemental Security Income), as that is way too high a figure for SSI. And people on SSI get MedicAid. So if she's on Medicare and has that mu v h income she is getting Social Security NOT SSI. There's a huge difference.

1 2 3