The nursing home won't admit my Mother (89) with Medicaid pending. What do I do next? - AgingCare.com

The nursing home won't admit my Mother (89) with Medicaid pending. What do I do next?

They want to be assured they will get paid. I applied her for medicaid last August. Before that, we had a PRI done which concluded that she should be in a SNF. I submitted applications to 4 different NH's & she was put on waiting lists for all. She has dementia, has a serious balance problem, can only walk short distances with a walker, can no longer manage taking her medications correctly, & cannot take care of herself. Now she is getting more forgetful, most of the time can't follow a conversation, & isn't eating nutritious food. She is currently living in an over 55 apartment complex, not assisted living or any kind of help. The medicaid caseworker now tells me they can't approve her for NH medicaid unless she is currently in a NH, they tell me she should apply for community medicaid. The NH director of admissions tells me they can't admit her without medicaid 1st being approved. I feel like a ping pong ball getting bounced back & forth. She is falling through the cracks because nobody will go a little extra to steer me in the right direction. She needs to be in the care of a NH but, at the NH director of admissions urging, I told the medicaid caseworker to go ahead & change the application to community medicaid. I don't feel comfortable with that because she can't do so many things for herself. Since the NH won't work with medicaid pending, how can I get her admitted without waiting for something to happen to her? She is willing & ready to go, she knows she needs to be there.

54

Answers

1 3 4 5
or they went to the local county poorhouse

Apply for Community Medicaid, with in 30 days you will have an answer.
If you have current statements of her assets and property it may take less time.
She can begin to get services in home and then move to a facility.
Try your local area Agency on Aging and ask for help.
Good Luck

"I do not want to pay additional taxes to cover medicaid for someone else if they are only getting it because a clever attorney has hid their assets" makes perfect sense. However, most people would prefer to pay a smart lawyer than to pay a million for care as the person on this site chose to do. I don't mind paying extra taxes so hungry children get food stamps and decent school lunches, but I do mind when the wealthy exploit tax loopholes designed by and for them by legislators they bribed (excuse me, I meant lobbied). Our laws are corrupt because they are all made by the ruling class rather than we the people, and that is why I do not have that much respect for our corrupt laws. Will I break the law and risk jail time? Of course not, but I will use my vote to fight corrupt laws. What happened to old people before social security, Medicaid, Medicare? Their families had to take care of them....and if they had horrible children, they were SOL.

If NH is such a bad state, get the hell out of there. Sounds like Florida law is much better. No nursing home can EVER take homestead property. Lizdevine is a moron. Nursing homes are the worst and Medicaid is always the last resort. People who have money should NOT put their parents in a NH. They should pay for private care. Nurses are willing to negotiate their fees....they don't have to charge $410/day. If you live with your parent and work full time, the most care you need is 8-6, 5 days a week and you can do the rest yourself. Or you can hire care 7 days a week. Just don't use an agency which will not only overcharge you but send a CNA or HHA with very little training. The agencies charge more for CNAs than I pay for a private RN. I know that some people have no assets and must use Medicaid. I advise people to use it ONLY if they have no assets, not to be a troll, but because I watched how they treated my dad for 2 years in a nursing home and it was horrific. I researched all the other nursing homes in my area and all had awful reviews. Nobody ever got enough attention with 1 nurse for 12 patients. I admit that I am arrogant, that I know nothing about NH law since I live in FL, and that I think rich people who are putting their parents in homes because they are too busy to help them manage the private care they hire are making a mistake. I understand federal law.

Megan: Private pays adds up at rapid speed! My mom's NH room's going rate was $410/day.

Socrates, the person asking for help clearly states that her mom is in an over 55 apartment complex, why did you start babbling on about property liens? You are doing it to be a troll... telling people they are terrible for using NH services? Not everyone was born with a silver spoon up their bucket. You know NOTHING about nursing home LAWS, state or federal or NH admissions, or care about elderly people as you stated, you would NEVER put your mom in a home and you can afford to keep mom at home...your own words. Where is your compassion? Still feeling superior?

It may be protected while you're alive but to necessarily after. It does vary from person to person and remember an attorney will only address your situation not everyone's

According to our Florida based elder attorney, homestead is protected from Medicaid. Other assets have a 5 year look back period, but really consult an elder attorney for up to date info

Can you pay privately at first and spend down to 2 grand? She will then qualify for medicaid. For now go to the Agency on Aging and ask to speak to a SW there. They should be able to steer you kin the right direction.

almost a million dollars?! wow

1 3 4 5