I just received a call from the NH saying that the doctor is taking all the residents and my Mom off of Namenda. Any advice?

I've taken care of my mom for several years in her home and then she moved in with me. I finally had to put her in a nursing home in June and she is actually doing pretty good. Mom has been on Namenda - 10mg twice a day and Galantamine Hydrobromide 24mg for her memory for several years. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and has been taking these meds for several years and has done pretty well with them. The doctor from the home said that studies show that Namenda doesn't really do anything for the patient so he is taking all residents off of it. Can I insist that my mom be left on it? Is there anything I can do about this order the doctor is doing? My mom's doctor that she had for several years before going into the home believed in Namenda and said that it kept the disease from progressing quickly. Please, can anyone give me some advice.

19

Answers

Daisy, not sure but in the US we are no longer able to get 5 or 10 mg Namenda. Only the XR is currently available as far as I know. The pharmacies sent out notifications to those using the 5 and 10 mg back in May stating it was being discontinued. I see on your profile you are in England. Maybe that is why it is different.

Anybody know for sure?

the thing is my hubby takes memantine but product is made by ebixa ?

Daisy it is two different medications. Namenda and Namenda XR which is replacing the previous formula.

Neither is shown to change the progression of Alzheimer's. However I have read stories on this site about what occurs when stopping these medications. And they run the gamut. Everything from definite improvement to a very rapid decline. It largely depends on the physiology of the one taking the medication. Once you have met a person with Alzheimer's you have met a person with Alzheimer's.

i had an email to say that this medication was being stopped so why is it still available no disrespect to those who it is working for but I have been told it dosent do anything for people with dementia how they know I do not know ?

Gotta keep those pharmaceuticals raking in all that dough! Yup! I took my husband off Namenda over a year ago, and his thinking has been much clearer ever since. I don't need any doctor to tell me how to read my husband's condition. She hasn't been his wife for 63 years!

One more post for me on this thread.

At the top of this page, there's often an ad for Namenda XR. Right in the orange banner, it says the following:

"There is no evidence that NAMENDA XR prevents or slows the underlying disease process in patients with Alzheimer's disease."

Why are doctors prescribing it like popcorn?

Whynot, Bizarre, I have heard the opposite, that the 5 and 10mg had been pulled, replaced with the 28 mg. I know some pharmacies are having some trouble getting the XR.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/UCM386064.pdf

Talked to the doctor and the FDA has pulled the 28mg XR because of FDA issues but the doctor and the pharmacy said that they still can get the 5mg and 10mg and my mom will be able to still take her 10mg twice a day. He did say that down the road Namenda could stop making the 5mg and 10mg all together. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks again for all the great information and support.

My mom took Namenda and had no side effects, at all. If your mom has no side effects, I wouldn't worry about them if you think they help.

Namenda did not help my mom, so I'm not saying that it actually does work, I'm just saying that she didn't have a problem. As with all medications, some people have side effects, others don't.

Also, there are so many studies around, until there's one that truly conclusive, if you think this helps, I'd just start by talking to the doctor at the nursing home about this, first, to see if he'll just leave her on it. If he won't, then find another doctor outside the nursing home, maybe her old doctor, to talk to him.

If it's not hurting her and if you think it's helping her, put this to him nicely and ask if this study is so conclusive and he's so sure about this and, sometimes, a doctor will go along with something that "does no harm." I'd do this in-person, though.

Thanks for all the great information. I'm going to call the nursing home this morning and try and get some answers. I asked if she was going to be put on anything else to replace the Namenda and I was told no. This is the part that worries me...... why mess with something that isn't broke. She has done so well the last 8 years, I really think it needs to be left alone. As for the rest of the residents, I hope they have family that cares enough to ask questions.