Does the nursing home get dad's life insurance policy? or does the family get it?

My father is terminal and was given 6 months. He has a life insurance policy but has been placed in the nursing home, will they become the beneficary of the policy? We live in Texas

28

Answers

1 2 3
Don't forget that for a veteran, your father can get a burial plot, opening and closing, a casket and a headstone for free. It is just the funeral/embambing that they don't pay for. But you can have the insurance proceeds signed over to the funeral home otherwise Medicade will come after it. As a POA you cannot change the beneficiery situation. It sounds good as it is. .

However, a designated burial policy is left alone, and policies without cash or face value pass to the beneficiaries as well. A good estate planner can help you, as could an eldercare attorney - just make sure they are not pushing their own products and do understand Medicaid in yoru state. And if you are in a spend down, using some funds for the prepaid funeral expenses can be part of it.

steviepa

If you have a home in your name, State may come after that as well, to pay them back for your care.

Pamstegma, thanks very much for your answer (even thought it was what I was not what I was hoping to hear :)

steviepa, if the policies have cash value, you will have to cash them in and pay for your care before Medicaid will kick in.

I am single, in poor health, and have no financial assets other than 2 life insurance policies, one a single premium life (paid up years ago) and the other Oridnary W-life 85. If I need to go to a nursing home will they take these policies for my care, leaving my family without money to pay for my burial?

The beneficiary typically gets to keep the proceeds of the policy, the only issue would be the cash, "face" or "surrender" value if any, which is typically much less than the payout. If mom already has Medicaid, they apparently did not find it or did not count it as a gifting of assets (or it did not have face or cash value.) Term insurance does not have any. You can usually figure that out by reading the policy details. The paperwork or online account will have typically have a cash value listed somewhere. You can use Mom's info to set up online access since you have POA. Good reference at fool.com/insurancecenter/life/life05.htm on this.

I am the beneficiary of this policy

Laws are federal for cash value of life insurance: cash it in and spend it down. Any state. OR pay mom for the cash value of it. the money MUST flow to the patient and the patient spends it down.

laws in MN on cash value on moms life insurance ?

1 2 3