Is it standard practice for a nursing home to charge a fee for "incontinence care" if a patient has a bladder-control issue?

My mother became a resident in a nursing home a little over a month ago. She has short-term memory issues, some difficulty walking, and some difficulty getting to the bathroom on time because of a "weak bladder". When we received the current charges, we found there was a $15 charge for "incontinence care", and over the course of the month it added up to $330. It seems that for the $7620 a month basic charge, this kind of care should be included. I thought that considering that this is one of the reasons a person may end up in a nursing care, it would simply be included. When my father saw the bill, he said it was a "rip-off" and I feel it is insult added to injury. What experience do others have?

In addition, a resident is expected to ask for help to get to the bathroom, as they do not like it when my mother simply goes on her own. If she has to wait for someone to help her, this increases the chances of an "accident" and to me it just seems the nursing home profits from it.

Thanks, Bob

17

Answers

I am a CNA recently I was informed by our new RCC I am no longer allowed to assist the incontinent residents more than 2 depending on their service plan. If they want more they gotta pay for it. I've been increasing their toileting at night as needed. I will still toilet them, but not document it. I can't stand by and have them get skin breakdown, sit in urin, soak the bed.

Most Nursing homes are inefficient and don't give the care to the elderly as well
as I thought they would. I once discussed an issue with the Social Worker Mgr. and she finally told me that Nursing Homes don't provide one on one service and if we want my Mom to have more thorough care I can hire a private nurse or CNA.
My mother can not walk anymore and needs full assistance to be moved to and from her bed and to be changed. I feel sorry for the elderly because they are at the mercy of the $9 an hour employees and many don't have as much empathy and desire to go above and beyond, plus most nursing homes are severally understaffed.

we bought the supplies for Dad from Costco, and FIL buys MILs there also. Much more affordable

You're most welcome, freqflyer. Most of the topics we discuss here never go out of style!

jacobsonbob, thanks for the update. It is always good to hear back from someone who had a question and how it was worked out :)

I forgot to add--that nursing home even gave an $800 credit for what they had already charged for "incontinence care". It certainly pays to review their bills and say something!

I just received a bill similar to this and have a call into billing regarding the extra monthly fees. They are also charging for an antifungal powder which I know they are not using and a cream for my dad's rear. This isn't used all the time and they are charging a unit x 3 every day. Here is another kicker. Most folks get 3 meals a day. My dad is on a PEG tube with nothing by mouth and they are charging him for his canned Ensure-type liquid that goes into tube.

Fast forward almost 4 years, and my mother is now in another state (as are the rest of us). This nursing home only charges for the package of diapers themselves without any "incontinence charges", so this seems much more reasonable. Their basic charges are more reasonable, too--"only" $6200/month. I guess this shows what competition will do--this city (Cincinnati) has many choices while the little town in central Pennsylvania didn't have other options.

Caregiverhelp11, depending on your Mom's physical condition, if she can be approved for Hospice then Medicare may help pay for the incontinence supplies.

I just moved my mom into another nursing home and the daily rate only
includes room and board. We are expected to pay $8-10 a day for
incontinence supplies! Geezz, it seems that nursing homes most certainly
have the upper hand in everything. You either agree or they won't accept
your parent.