The nurses at my aunts nursing home took away the remote for her bed! What to do?

My aunt is deaf, overweight, and does not have use of her legs. She moved from 1st floor to 3rd floor, so new nurses. They took away the remote for her bed, so she has to use the call light if she wants to adjust her bed. They claim its because she might fall put of bed, yet routinely they don't put her in bed properly, and she is inches off the bed. (She is quite obese). She has never fallen out of bed, so it seems like they are punishing her for something. Also she gets bed sores, so the ability for her to move the bed is pretty much the only way to adjust her position. My mom was able to get an appt friday with someone to discuss this. But im eondering if there is anything else that can be done. Advice?

22

Answers

1 2 3
Was there any explanation as to the original nurse's action?

I am happy to inform everyone, that after my mom had a meeting with a superviser, the bed remote was returned to my aunt. This was last week. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Is it possible she was adjusting the bed back down flat when she needs to sit up, or vice versa? Is she risking giving herself a pressure sore or lung problems? Is she refusing to get up out of bed because she can use the remote to just sit herself up? Something is not right here - they would give her the remote back rather than hassle with her and with you if they thought it was OK to do that, you would think.I don't get why no one can tell you the real reason...

taking away the remote to a bed or a lift chair is a form of restraint this needs to be discussed with administration.

Nurses are not in the habit of "punishing" obese patients, and probably due to her size they may have thought she would get the remote stuck underneath her obese body and cause harm. Really. Bring your concerns to staff and administration and stop "assuming" the worse of staff. They are there to help. Do not forget most obesity issues were self-inflicted so blaming others is pointless. Sorry, but as a nurse, I have seen more people destroy themselves with food than anything else. Having a food addiction is just as deadly as illegal and legal drug misuse.

Nikki, let us know how it went. I have toendorse Pam's suggestion about the Joint Commission. The mere mention by me at my mom's last care meeting did wonders in getting better response from the facility, resulting in less frustration for us and better care for our mom.

nikki, if I were you I would go to jointcommission.org and fill out the online complaint form for this facility, including the remote and the bedsores and the fact that you were laughed at and pushed off by the head nurse.
Then tomorrow AM I would call the Director of that facility. Of course you won't get to talk to them either, but you can leave a message that a complaint has been filed with the joint commission.

She should have a bariatric bed which is wider than the standard bed and would be much more comfortable for her. Contact the long term care ombudsman. Call your local Area Agency on Aging or Bureau of Senior Services, they will be able to connect you with the ombudsman who is an advocate for those in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Your mom should be comfortable and that includes proper fitting equipment.

Thanks everyone. And I will keep in mind ombudsman, if the meeting doesnt help.

I feel like there's some missing information. First, find out why they don't think she needs her own bed remote. If you are not the actual power of attorney or guardian, they may not give you very much information.

Can your aunt say why it was taken away?

1 2 3