Is it usual for it to take 1/2 hour from the time mom rings for the nurse until one comes to the room?

Mom is restricted to bed unless one of the aids assists her. 9 times out of 10 when she rings for assistance to get to the toilet, she pees her pants before the nurse/aid gets there. This is not acceptable to me, but is it the norm?

17

Answers

Thank you all for your responses, suggestions, and personal experiences. I'm happy to report the situation has improved (after I made complaints) and so has my mother's health. She is reaching new goals every day and regaining her independence. It appears that she will be coming home on Saturday. We are all so happy.

The other day my Dad, who is in the hospital, was trying to reach the Nurse but he was trying to push the red button on the landline telephone instead of the control for the TV which also had a red call nurse button. Both controls were similar in design and color.

The reason Dad wanted the Nurse was the TV volume wasn't loud enough.... [sigh]. He's 95 so it is normal for him to be very confused while in the hospital.

I waited 1 1/2 hours one night when I was too ill to move and my call bell fell to the floor, thus after the first call was unreachable. Finally I started tapping SOS on my locker not that it helped much as a plastic cup is not very loud. However by the time someone arrived my bladder and bowel had taken matters into their own hands. This was in the ICU of a large regional teaching hospital. Did not mince my words in that survey either!

Shouldn't be, no, but...

My MIL hired one-to-one 24/7 nursing care for her mother in her mother's home; then called in one lunchtime and found said nurse asleep in the spare room. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that scene.

Culpable she may have been (and, I suspect, moonlighting), but I should think that poor nurse wished she'd never been born; and the more regrettable outcome was that Grandma-in-law was moved shortly after to a nursing home. I suppose MIL felt she had thrown as much money at the situation as it was possible to throw, and still her mother wasn't safe. It was one of the rare occasions when I have genuinely felt sorry for her.

Dorindarose, I agree with you that a thirty minute wait is unacceptable. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to avoid its happening sometimes: the staffing ratios needed to prevent it totally would be unaffordable, but it isn't only the money. If you had sufficient staff to ensure that no resident was ever kept waiting for more than a few minutes, most of the time some of the staff would have literally nothing to do, and people don't thrive on hanging around being useless any more than they do on being overworked.

So I'd say it is common, rather than normal. That sort of delay was also one of the deciding factors in my bringing my mother home after rehab. If doing that isn't an option for you, then another suggestion might be to ask for training in transferring your mother so that you can safely take matters into your own hands when you visit. I'm sorry, I know this is an agonising thing to see.

CNA on overnight duty should not be sleeping. I guess that goes without saying.

Pam
It's those overnight stats that are scary especially when mom gets up to pee sometimes 3 or 4 times

In her 5 star rehab the one CNA would be asleep in the hall while buzzers went off and folks yelling nurse nurse

dorindarose, 97 patients and 13 aides is better than 10:1 it is closer to 8:1. Yes, the aides counts from 11pm to 7am are much lower, usually one aide to a full wing of patients (30-40) because they are all tucked in. Bear in mind that a nurse is present also.

The nurse/patient ratio is much worse than those mentioned above. They have 97 beds and only 13 nursing staff on the day shift, less at night.

What I have seen is that everybody has to go about an hour after a meal, so if they feed everybody at noon (for example), they all push the button at 1:30. With ten to one aide ratios, there is no way to answer in time.

When I was working as a CNA there were 60 residents and we had 10 residents each. In NJ 3 minutes is the response time for call light. If we were giving care to a resident we wouldn't leave someone on a toilet etc. now if we went out in the hallway to get a washcloth and saw a light, we went in the room, if it was a need that couldn't wait we could get someone to help. There was no " not my resident".