Now if I was to get spouse's last SSD check, will I still receive survivor's benefits? - AgingCare.com

Now if I was to get spouse's last SSD check, will I still receive survivor's benefits?

He passed suddenly 5 days before monthly payment, I don't make much on my own disability and need to pay rent.

3

Answers

A SS check you get for Dec is actually Nov check. Just like when u work. If he received his check for Dec and died in Dec u should be able to keep it. But if he died in Nov and u still received his check in Dec, this may cause a problem and they may withdraw it from ur bank account. Now basically (there's more to it) if ur husband got 1500 and you received 750 your 750 will drop off and you will get his 1500. You really need to get to a SS office. You r entitled to the $250 death benefit. Call before you go to see what u need to bring along.

You will have to apply for survivors benefits, which will be about half. If spouse served in the military there could be also additional benefits. An accountant may be able to help you.

Call Social Security and get the answer directly from the source.