Do any of you notice a dementia patient going OCD when performing a task?

Mom would wash her hands for ages if I wasn't there. Same with brushing her teeth and rinsing her mouth.

Another thing. She always wants to leave some of her food or she asks if we want some even though we have our own food. Today she wrapped half her sandwich in a napkin. Told her we don't keep leftovers, she had to eat it. She always says, I thought someone else would like it.

20

Answers

FF I was told as a child about the starving children in Africa. I said to my mom lets mail the meatloaf to Africa. Boy did I get slapped in the face for that 🙄

If anything is given to my mom and someone puts it on moms nightstand or wherever that's where she wants it.

When I was a CNA in LTC I had a resident when she got ready for bed, she wanted her bra under her pillow. That made her happy. We learned what the residents liked and everyone was happy.

Debaron, the repetitiveness nearly drive us nuts, but it turned out to be a phase. Barely does it at all anymore.

As far as the OCD goes, I rather imagine that's her brain trying to hold on to that last bit of control. I would have been thrilled for Mom to wash at all. Every bathroom break was a battle.

Keep, the CNAs should understand OCD in a Dementia patients if they work in a nursing home.

Debaron, I never tell Mom she has an appt until we r ready to walk out the door. Same with guests. If I tell her ahead, she wakes up all night long thinking its time.

Just moved back to my hometown from another state in order to care for my mother, who was diagnosed with Dementia three years ago. (yes, I know, I should have moved home sooner) The repetition of conversations and/or instructions blows my mind. If I tell her she has a doctor's appointment on a certain date, we have to look at the calendar, write it on the calendar, and then discuss it ten to 15 times in an hour - "when is my doctor's appointment" "what time" "why am I going". I'm new to this, having only moved back home three weeks ago. I am praying for and learning patience, as I realize it is not good to let her know I'm frustrated - and very concerned. She can remember everything from her childhood and mine, but can't remember what was told to her two minutes ago. I know this is normal for a dementia patient - but today the repetiveness was so bad I actually wondered if I was going to be able to do this. Anyone else ever feel that way?

My Mom is in a nursing home and completely bed ridden. She has mild dementia, but boy does she have OCD. She's obsessed with having the items on her tray in a precise order. And they must be aligned perfectly. When an aide or I moves the tray out of the way she becomes furious if we knock the items even slightly. She'll take everything off the tray and furiously arrange them again. Everything in her room has to be aligned just so. She'll ask us to move some thing and of course we move it too much. I must move things back and forth 10 times before she's satisfied and to my eyes it's in the same place it was when she started.

I have a hard time explaining the OCD to the aides. They don't get it. I try and tell them to just go with the flow. But some times she's nasty, calling them stupid when they can't figure out what she wants.

The woes of dementia.

Gosh, I've been leaving food on my plate since I was a kid.... even dining out, I come home with a doggy-bag for myself. Now that I am pushing 70 and not having the energy I use to, I find myself even eating much less. There are always left-overs in our refrigerator.... like cold pizza, and cold Popeye's chicken :)

Saving food for a "rainy day" I wouldn't consider to be OCD, more likely not wanting to waste food. I remember my Mom telling me to finish what was on my plate because "there were starving children in China". That never made any sense to me, thus I wanted to send my left over food to China :)

Now the constant hand washing, teeth brushing and rinsing, that would be OCD. It depends on how often Mom does that. If it is twice more then normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Many grown children can't even get their elderly parent to wash up and brush their teeth.

Thanks everyone for inputs.

Yes JoAnn, practically everything has become an OCD process for my mother. Wiping the counter, playing with her food (dividing, sorting, positioning food on plate), kitchen routines, its mind-boggling to watch but it is due to certain areas of the brain being affected, very strange behavior and she is on Donepezil and Namenda. She has also developed the giggles since starting Namenda... no doubt they included some mood elevators in that drug because everything is funny now

They keep old routines, and they function longer because the brain can no longer remember new instructions. Or maybe it gives them a sense of control in an increasingly confusing World of Dementia. IMHO

Oh dear, JoAnn, my mom does it too. She saves little morsels for me.
I asked her if she ate the special blueberry muffin I left for her breakfast
and she said no, she was waiting for me to share it with her.
She hides cans of soup in her bedroom.