It's not safe on the road if Mom gets her drivers license back. What should I do? - AgingCare.com

It's not safe on the road if Mom gets her drivers license back. What should I do?

I took my mom down to renew her drivers license. Its 3 yrs. past. Anyways, she had to have her doctor sign her off that she fine. Its not safe on the road if she gets her drivers license back. What should I do?

14

Answers

Put your concerns in WRITING to the Dr, have him give YOU a copy of the form that says she is ok to drive, and have him sign your letter. If he refuses, send a copy to his office receipt required. I don;t care who signs it there, its proof you tried. This may make him rethink his position. or not, but you can prove you tried if problems arise, and they will. Cover your own butt as much as possible.

In Fl the DMV will take a report on an unsafe driver seriously, but if they pass the requirements, all you can do is not ride in the car with them and hope for the best. If the doctor is willing yo sign off, you may be stuck. I disagree with canceling insurance, I do not think that will deter a hard headed senior from driving.....the only thing worse that an unsafe driver is an unsafe uninsured driver.

When I discovered the car insurance has lapsed from nonpayment and the neighbor reported she had trouble getting out of the car, I knew it was NOT safe for her to continue. So, I took every key I could find and told her that I would help find the problem with her car that was causing trouble. She believed there was trouble too, since she had trouble starting the car or getting out of it. She hasn't mentioned driving since then and that was 7 weeks ago. She never even mentions her car.

Sodonewith, that is what happened to my youngest sister - killed by a driver who should not have been on the road. Please everyone, do whatever it takes.

Disable the car, there is a part that has something to do with the ignition,take it out, tell her you will get the car repaired, just don't get around to it but be prepared to be her chauffeur,if she wrecks and hurts someone she will get her b*tt sued off especially if she hurts a child.

Of course it's not nice to have to listen to your mom demand over and over to be taken to get her license renewed. What's far worse is having your mom kill somebody with her car because you weren't firm enough about not letting her drive. Don't think that couldn't happen. Sometimes you have to toughen up and just say no.

Dorothyann, keep on doing whatever you can to get her license taken away, and her car too. I think many of know exactly how difficult this is, and how impossible our parent(s) can be. Your doctor should be able to help you. You can even blame the doctor if necessary, lol. I am in the final (I hope) stages of doing this for my mother. SO stressful, SO difficult. I still haven't gotten rid of her car, but hope to in the next month.

There's always disabling the car.

Thank you for all your input?That's very helpfulfor me to deal with this? And why I took her down to get it renewed..u guys don't know my mom..That's all i heard for weeks..And its not nice..

I'm not sure why you took her to renew her license if she's that unsafe behind the wheel. Be that as it may, do everything in your power to keep her off the road, even if it means putting a Club on her steering wheel. Meanwhile, talk to her doctor and express your concerns.