Not breathing right. Does this have to do with caregiving?

I've discovered something the last few days. My blood oxygen often runs low -- about 92%. My heart is fine. No COPD. No drugs suppressing breathing. What I discovered was I don't breathe deeply enough. If I make myself breathe deeply, the saturation goes up to 97% fairly quickly.

Now what does this have to do with caregiving? I keep catching myself being very tense. My shoulders and chest muscles are tense and I'm breathing only using my chest muscles, instead of my diaphragm. When I was in the kitchen this evening, I found myself very tense and even holding my breath. It was like I was trying to make myself small and invisible. Then I figured out what might be happening. I am in someone else's home and not my own. I thought about how animals in the wild will tread lightly and tensely when crossing another's territory.

I am trying to train myself to do deep breathing, instead of shallow. I have gotten into a very bad habit. It made me think that the tension that comes with anxiety can actually take your breath away. Lower blood O2 is not good for heart, brain, or other organs. When someone says Breathe, it is such good advice I am learning.

19

Answers

Check out the internet for articles, videos, by Teepa Snow. She is awesome!

I hope to be able to remind myself of this because I am a sloucher! Not to be confused with a slacker...ha ha

Yes! I've learned my posture makes a huge difference in my breathing. It's understandable, because it's hard to breathe with the diaphragm when it's all mashed and scrunched up.

Jessie, oh my gosh, I also slouch at the computer, with one elbow on the tray that holds the keyboard. Time for me to learn to sit up straight.

Now I just need to get the cat out from behind my back :P

Now that I've been paying more attention I've found that my typical O2 is only 95%. It doesn't take much breath holding and shallow breathing for it to go down into the worrisome zone. I'm learning some tricks on things that help, like sitting straight, instead of slouched when I'm on the computer. I work on the computer, so it's important to do that. I'm glad I got a pulse oximeter so I knew I had a problem. I wish I didn't have to think about breathing. When I'm in the kitchen now I remind myself to breathe deep. I wish I felt more at home here since it looks like I'm going to be here a while longer.

JessieBelle, I too am a shallow breather but do have COPD. I also am in someone else's home and feel like I have to walk on eggshells on top of putting up with the insanity of aunt & uncle's AZ & dementia every waking hour, every day. I have inhalers & have found myself using the rescue inhaler more often than I should. I have to remind myself to breathe deeply. Some time away always helps but I do not get that as often as I need it.

... or reacted like rabbits to vacuums. Run and hide! It's going to kill us for sure. My mother's reaction to vacuums are only slightly better. My way of de-stressing is to pet and groom my favorite rabbit. He is such a snuggle bunny -- total love and trust shared.

Or FF what if parents reacted like dogs and started trying to bite it???

Good thing that valve got spotted. Could have got very nasty - phew!

Ok, as a respiratory therapist I can tell you to relax and not panic about the 92%if it goes up when you take a deep breath! I work in an ICU, and everyone in america wants to be 100%, its the way we are wired..LOL 92% is not the end of the world.. its a a symptom of your breathing, not your overall health. Just relax and take a deep breath when you see it, and don;t fixate on the numbers. I run at about 97% all the time. I only worry about my patients if they are at 92% or lower all the time. Only a blood gas will tell the entire story , a low sat is easily fixed by more O2.. or a deep breath in your case. So unless you are always low and cant breathe it back up ... relax!

Jessie, I had that same problem.... I would go for a walk and would be out of breath before I knew it. Turned out I had a leaking heart value... say what?... and my blood pressure was too high all due to stress [recovering myself from breast cancer and trying to help my parents].

Blood pressure pills really helped me breathe better but it took a while to get the right dosage that didn't make me fall asleep.

For me, a good stress reliever is vacuuming.... of course it raises the blood pressure on the cats and they dive under the beds. Too bad that doesn't work on one's parent(s).... keep them under the bed for a couple of hours :P