My Mother is diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's. Is it normal for them to not want admit to having a problem?

She forgets everything. Can't remember where she put things. Then tells the neurologist my daughter thinks I have a problem with my memory.

26

Answers

1 2 3
Denial is not a river in Egypt . My mom goes to a dementia care group where they have a rule where they don't talk about dementia, they don't bring up the fact they have dementia. What I am trying to say is that it is easier if you don't talk about dementia with your mom. You can't argue with someone who isn't well. Especially with someone who has a cognitive disability like dementia.

Take care of yourself first. This one you can't fix it is an inevitable decline and there is nothing any person or doctor can do to undo dementia. Doing other wise will drive yourself insane (I speak from experience) . I had to stomp and push my weight around at the doctors office in order for someone to listen to me and my concerns about my mom because she presents so well in the doctors office (her hair is done because I make appointments for her, she can pay her bills because I pay for them for her, she eats and bathes because I have someone do it for her etc ettc etc you get the idea. and she is young and very beautiful for her age she is only 68). I had to make an appointment without my mom for not only so the doctors would listen but so that I could speak freely with out my mother there.

Let her be in denial, enjoy the moments when you see your "old mom" somewhere in there......if only for a second. try to be patient with her like stevensmom said. Trying to convince your mom will only make you both frustrated.

Jinx.
I'm an RN, and saw many patients with Alzheimer's. Confabulation, along with denial of needing to remember things like days of the week, were common.

I often found that a component of that confabulation and denial was a tone of smug belligerence.

I bring this up because it drove me crazy too. That petty belligerence, for whatever reason, got my goat. I don't think I betrayed my anger and resentment, but it was there.

Has anyone else had experience with this dynamic, either on the part of the patient or themselves?

Admitting one has a memory issue is not someone with memory losses wants to act. Don't let it worry you since you already know she has memory deficits. I hear this all the time from my husband when he gets angry at me.

The word "confabulation" hasn't been mentioned. This is when the sufferer is confronted with a situation, like a bag of groceries. He/she has no idea who shopped, but will make up a story to explain how the groceries got there. They may claim to have done the shopping, or may claim that their now-dead spouse brought them home. There is no intention to tell a lie. It is just an attempt to fill in information that is missing.

I understand this phenomenon, but it still drives me crazy. My husband will return from a walk and describe non-existent rocky ridges and valleys and rivers in our neighborhood. I've started to say, "You can show it to me the next time we go out." I can't force myself to agree that it's there, so I needed something non-committal to say.

He insists that 55 years ago, his aunts brought him to spend a vacation in the house we live in now. I can't prove that he's wrong, but it's an unlikely spot for a vacation! As I get used to each story, it's easier to yes him to death about it, but then he starts in with a new one!

I have found that even though my parents don't appear to have dementia, they often deny that OTHERS might have it. I find that even in extreme cases. For example, a friend of theirs is a patient in a nursing home who has no idea where he is, he talks of people who are not present as if they are, has hallucinations, is not oriented to time and place, cannot follow any instruction as to sitting or standing, is fully incontinent and yet my parents don't think this person has dementia. They say things, like, "I'm not sure if Kenneth will be able to live alone again." Are you kidding me? They actually entertain that a person with this progression can live alone. When I suggest that dementia is a horrible thing, they say, "Well, it might not be dementia." They actually think he will return to his normal state. I don't argue with them, but man....it boggles the mind.

If a person feels he or she is becoming forgetful and wants to schedule an appointment with an Alzhiemer's facility, the facility always ask for the person to be accompanied by someone who knows the person well .
We worry we'll, but we cannot diagnose a memory problem accurately ourselves.
When we recognize a problem with a parent or a spouse, we have to understand a few things.
1. There are 10 signs of early dementia. Look them up.
2. Your relationship has shifted. You are o longer the child/spouse, you have become a caregiver.
3. Caregivers need to remove their personal feelings from caring for a person whose short term mEmory and reasoning skills have diminished.
4. Reduce your expectations of receiving anything from the person to zero. Concentrate on keeping the person content and comfortable.
5. Ask for help from family and the community. You will have problems trying to do this yourself.

Vstefans: Good one!

Yes.

Being eager to confront the reality of progressive dementia would be pretty weird.

Oh, yes, it is ABSOLUTELY normal! They don't want to turn into a person that they won't even recognize!

Read and absorb every single one of these responses, as you will need this advice and information as you travel this road. DoctorJC laid it out very well. The person you knew will soon become sly, paranoid, and very difficult to deal with if you don't find ways to agree with him and then do what needs to be done. Stay with us here, and vent when you need to, and come to the great people in this group for advice. My dementia-care days are over with the death of my dad, but I still hang on here for my mental health!

1 2 3