Does anyone know of any non-related caregiver financial program? - AgingCare.com

Does anyone know of any non-related caregiver financial program?

In Dekalb county Georgia.

13

Answers

Ok, not ok... my circumstance involves the elder person, in a very small community, being neighbors at first and the "two daughters" one in Co. the other in TX. both about 1000 miles away in their late 60's and late 70's and the younger one having a POA, as I later found out which is fine by me. All friends till one day... long story short, I am still here helping this person and they are not. They are the ones with POA and yet over a year now, even with sending them pics, pleading with them to come take him for medical, I found out I am not allowed because I am not family), fine, no more visits now for birthday and thanksgiving that was at least for the previous 8 of 10 years that I know of and even getting the hopes up to see them as they said for the 04/14 birthday, then excusing themselves to be there asap and even to this day not show up! I we neighbors, especially myself have been there the whole time, she came, threw 150 dollars down and demanded for me to take care of him even if she had to pay for it her self and I never heard from her again. That has been over a year ago. She is the one with POA, he is in financial trouble, 92 yrs. old, and no other family around, eye infection, melanoma bad, and I can not even get into the medical thing to help him, because, I have no POA, I am not family and yes, I am just a neighbor who has been there (most) every single day, so, abandonment issues falls on who? Through all of this though I have had an awesome revelation. One of two things, either I messed up bad in my past and I truly have another chance of caring for another person for other than personal gain, or, I did so well before that I have been entrusted again to care for another special blessing that has come into my life. I choose to believe the latter but my heart is open for greater lessons for a higher purpose, (lol most of the time anyway)... It is hard and very hurtful at times and hay, this is not my "blood parent" but, as I mentioned earlier, "thing are not what they appear to be" especially if you open your heart to receive more than what they, the system or organization could pay. I saw today, in the past, thinking, old, crippled, being in a hurry and have to wait till whatever, but today, I SAW the meaning of, "slow down and take time to smell (enjoy) the roses" WOW! then I was so tickled at realizing, I get it; The relationship of our elderly are like the ROSE in GODS garden, taking their time to bud and slow to bloom, full of thorns to prick you and then, when you least expect it, that beautiful smell of the rose that you know was created just for you! Either which way I win... And I thought I was the one caring...

Ok I hope this helps, first of all, a caregiver for an elderly parent, does not mean that it has to be your own parent, (blood line parent) this being more of a generational thing I suppose, almost like as with computer tech, (my apologies) but you have the parent; then - child = younger or next generation; (like - folder, then sub folder) next generation is considered child of the parent, (we all are either a parent or a child) I have been researching and have found in these cases, you are the caregiver ( the child in this case), the elderly receiving the care is the parent, (someone's parent, they are the "parent", and no where does it say anywhere that I can tell, that its about blood lines...) It is about the "parent," (elderly) and the "child" (caregiver) or (younger/next generation giving the care). This site does have some awesome links to look into for your self and here is the first one for you https://www.agingcare.com/articles/10-Government-Programs-Caregivers-Can-Access-for-Their-Elderly-Parents-120513.htm; but I do hope you keep in your heart and remember at times we have to do some things - whether we are paid or not, but 'cause its just the right thing to do... even though...

ohdear, to get back to the original question, bigmamma is caring for a friend they live with. Do you know of a funding source in Georgia, USA?

Again legal disclaimer. If you assume care for a person than leaving them is called abandonment. If you want to stop taking care of a person for any reason than you must arrange to transfer that care to someone else . If that person becomes sicker on your time and you take no action then that is a other offense. Should they die from preventable causes , fall or injury then you are probably going to face some kind of murder charge. Human being found alive or dead in deplorable conditions another charge. They will throw the book at you for elder abuse of any kind.

Not funny. Some places have regulations that if a person dies at home an autopsy is done.Lets say he falls and is found in the deplorable conditions you describe. Guardian charged with all sorts of things. Points a finger at you. " I have a contract here. She was suppose to take care of my Father." She goes free , you get an orange jumpsuit and a girl named "Butch" for a cellmate.

No pamstegman that is not the Global Options I meant. Perhaps in your area it has a different name. That is why you work with the homecare agency as they know all the various programs that are out there.

The only time I see family come out of the woodwork is when it is time to read the Will. LOL

Plus you need to not be involved with your
neighbors care. If something happens to him you could be held accountable as you sought no medical help for him. You abandoned him after not being paid. You noticed him going downhill but sought no medical intervention. Me I would be calling 911 . He needs care and you need a paper trail. That family will come out the woodwork if something happens to him. They will save their necks and say he was left in your care. Bad news for you is they have it in writting.
This is a disclaimer for giving you legal or medical advice.
.

ohdear, the only Global Options I could find in Georgia was a group of insurance fraud investigators. Not who you mean?

pamstegman if you have a written agreement about being paid, you can sue for what is owed you. Get legal counsel.

• Many common retirement myths are completely false and end up harming your financial situation. With proper planning, you can help your parents continue to create wealth until their retirement and beyond. Avoiding overly conservative financial decisions can truly pay off.
  • Numerous resources are available to educate a spouse or an aging loved one on the basics of personal finance, retirement planning, investing and more. In fact, some of these learning tools are both practical and enjoyable.
  • A roundup of web-based and mobile financial tools that will help you monitor your money, budget better and save more.