A non-family member who has legal guardianship over my great aunt lives out of state and wants to move her. What do we do? - AgingCare.com

A non-family member who has legal guardianship over my great aunt lives out of state and wants to move her. What do we do?

Great Aunt is 99 year old widow legal guardianship. Aunt has two siblings in their 90s. A non family member has been granted legal guardianship. Family members are scrambling as to what to do. Her brother was paying her bills and taking care of her needs and had a live-in assisting her. The person who with legal guardianship lives out of state and plans to move aunt. I need answers as I don't know where to begin to help my family. Thank you!

22

Answers

1 2 3
I apologize for referring to my aunt as my great aunt. My aunt IS my father's sister and not his aunt. Why I misstated that I have no idea. Nerves I guess. I apologize for the confusion. Again thank you for the feedback.

Lovethem: See CM's statement and pls respond to "your great aunt would be your father's aunt and not his sister"=confusing.

Lovethem7: You are confusing. I am with churchmouse.

Agreed cm!

Keep picking CM!

I find this confusing: you say, "my dad has reclaimed legal guardianship over his sister."

Your great aunt would be your father's aunt. Not his sister. I'm sorry to be picky but could you just confirm what relationship this lady has with you and your father?

Good luck. I hope you can win for the sake of family guardians as opposed to commercial guardians for hire.

I was speaking about my Great Aunt. However someone mentioned in a post that normally when a non-family seeks legal guardianship over someone the family is notify. I was acknowledging that my dad was notified but he never opened the letter. At this time my dad has reclaimed legal guardianship over his sister. We have also retained an attorney to help us; because we found out legally we can not keep this person from contacting my Great Aunt. Therefore we need to build a case. Thank you all again for all of comments. They have helped tremendously!

Lovethem7: What letter was mentioned in this thread? I can't seem to find it. First we were talking about your Great Aunt and now you've changed it to your Dad. Very confusing!

"This lady's mother is the former mayor of the town they live in. I am sure they know the system much better than we did. " I think you've found out something about the system that not many people know.

I also think I would find an aggressive attorney, a litigator in a firm with elder law attorneys, and ask about injunctive relief initially to prevent the move and following that to challenge the guardianship for cause.

This really upsets me. I hate to see people victimized by the system. I suspect some collusion is involved somewhere. If it can be brought to light and exposed, it would help others with unwanted commercial, for profit guardians.

1 2 3