A new "symptom" I don't find in any of the dementia symptoms so what else is it?

Lately he has begun blinking rapidly while looking straight up and opening and closing his mouth at the same time... like a fish. he does it simultaniously all the time when he is awake...what is this? 68 dad w/demenia 5 year post stroke

18

Answers

Tardive Dyskinesia is a side effect of Stellazine, a drug used to treat schizophrenia and is irreversible due to the amount of time one has been on that drug. The main symptoms are tongue rolling and shaking of the hands like in Parkinson's disease. What you describe ypiffani does not sound like those symptoms. I still recommend seeing a neurologist because his motor messages are getting crossed in the brain. You could also check his medications for those side effects too.

Cap, thanks for the laugh - I needed it! :)

Get him checked out by a neurologist as soon as possible. It sounds like there is some seizure activity going on in his brain, but a qualified doctor can run some tests. Best wishes!

What you describe are the S&S of EPS, Tardive Dyskinesia, can be a sign of this too. Contact you physician for information & a list of the medications he is on. If he is on any antipsychotic meds, it is easily controlled by Cogentin, 2 mg. by mouth or even Benadryl, 25 mg's by mouth, however I would not give anything with out more information.

if this is it, a better resource re treatment is at
www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tardive/tardive.htm

pstegman, I think you may have nailed it...see
TD is not a seizure but occurs after long term use of fairly large amounts of certain psych and GI meds, and can be hard to manage; glad its not bothering him too much!

My mom squeeks. Doesn't seem to bother her too much. Often when she is trying to do something that is getting harder for her to do! Like fasten her bra. Boy does she get that thing in some tangles!

My late father started doing that a few months before he passed. He had no clue he was doing it either. Then it became full blown seizures. It was scary to witness. I'm glad you're getting some of this on video. Siblings who do not participate just don't get it.

and Cap.... I laughed so thank you for that, you're not being too big of a jerk.

Thanks to all... no it doesn't seem to upset him, he doesn't even know he is doing it. I ask why or if anything is wrong. He says no, no pain... not aware anything is unusual. I totally understand seizures, have epilepsy since 6 yrs old, though now I just have migraines not seizures. Thanks so much for the information. He went in for a CT scan today and I have told his doctors all about it though I didn't think to video it, good suggestion I'll do that next time I see it. I have been keeping a video journal of his wanderings and the gun fight and when he's in his room holding his meetings. And when he swore there were people living in his closet. Just so I have proof when bro and sis say he isn't as bad as he is and I'm just wanting attention. anyway, thank you all.