My neighbor wants to sell her home. If she goes into a nursing home within the year, will she get in trouble for selling it?

It needs a lot of work done to it so she won't get that much.

16

Answers

She fell and ended up with a compound fracture in her shoulder so she is going through physical therapy and then in between apps. I do them with her twice a day. She sees the doctor on the 9th of July to go over her EEG for memory loss. And I also have an appointment set up with an attorney but she wants to just let it go about all of the money that those two women owe her and she will be mad at me if I even bring it up even though I can bring those checks with me. She just says that she will take are of it in her own time. It has been over three years for the larger sum.

Hi igloo572, she had told me that a doctors wife had borrowed 25,000 but still owed her 17,500. I found the checks that this woman wrote out to her totaling 17,500 and each check was made out for one thousand and she had signed them but never dated them and told her not to deposit any of them until she told her to. We have since found out that she has closed out her account so I really don't know what can be done about it unless we do hire an attorney. It seems to me that she could get charged with fraud and felony or grand larceny. As for her family, all that she has is one brother and we have tried numerous times to contact him but to no avail. They asked us to be her POA and then everything got signed and notarized and copies went to all doctors and the bank. We are all on her checking account because she is not able to do her own bills anymore. As for the 10,000. She gave to another woman, I confronted her and told her that she needs to tear the check up because I would make sure that there was never that much in her account and also if she tries to cash it then I would have her arrested for taking money from a person with dementia.

Yankee - So how did it go with the atty? Let us know, as we all can learn from each other.

Remember that you need to see a certified eldercare attorny, and it's being paid for by your friend not by you.

You need to ask about the proper method for reimbursement for what you've spent and, going forward, payment for the services you are providing.

Something we tell people on here is that POA is not an obligation to become a hands on caregiver, it is only an agreement to help manage her finances (and coordinate her health care if you also have medical POA). It sounds to me as though this woman is fast approaching a point where she is not safe to be living on her own, she may in fact have already passed that point. You mention selling her home, hopefully this is her plan? She won't be ready for a nursing home but may do very well in an assisted living/memory care home where she can have the supervision she needs, the sooner the better.

The one lady that she loaned money to wrote her out seventeen 1,000.00 checks and one for 500.00 and signed them but did not date them and told her not to deposit any of them until she said that it was ok to do so. I have these checks in my position now and I saw the 10,000.00 check that she wrote out to the other woman but I informed her that if she even tries to cash them she will be arrested because of the dementia. As to family, she has only one brother and he is 82 and lives in another state far from her. The last that we talked to him was when he asked us to be her poa and to have a will made up so that everything that she owns will not go to the state.she has no other living relatives to help her. I know that she is not my responsibility and I will admit that I have never been around anyone with sundowners or any other type of dementia but I know that she has no one else to help her. She has fallen twice now and that scares me also. I don't know how to protect myself if she starts talking bad things about me because all I am trying to do is to protect her as if she was my mother. I will call and get an appointment set up with an attorney Monday morning though. Thank all of you so much for your input on all of this. Part of me wants to move away from her and her problem but the other side of me says that you are to be kind and help others out especially if they are not able to help themselves.

Yankee - the situation is a disaster waiting to happen imo. She's already been fleeced by others…..and has dementia…. she is doing sundowning… theres going to be an incident. The POA is it that you realistically don't know how to do things using the POA or are unsure what a POA should do OR is the POA one of those pulled off the web so probably not up to legal standards for your state. Really for your own sake, schedule an elder law atty appointment for her and take her to it to see what can be done to establish a caregiving agreement for you and do your best to find and copy info on her as to her assets & income to budget & pay for her needs. I'd try to do an excel sheet on your costs paid for her for the last year or 6 mos and take that to the atty appointment as well as the last tax assessor bill on her home (as it will have the supposed value of the property).

It may be that if she is really not competent or cognitive to do things legally, then you will have to seek guardianship or conservatorship of her if you decide you want to stay involved. This site has a whole section on Guardainships. Make a pot of coffee or adult beverage and read through the many many Q&A's on G/C's. I'd be concerned about the "not having any family". Like CWillie wrote, family will crawl out if there's $.

? for you, the 2 incidents of her being fleeced for 10K & 17K, do you know with certainty that this happened? Absolutely sure it happened? I'd be concerned that your neighbor has made this up or exaggerated the event. If so, I shudder to think what stories she has said about what you have done. Dementia means living with false beliefs and they can appear totally believable. Really meet with an atty if not for her then to do whatever to protect yourself just in case she tells false beliefs about you.

Having a written and signed contract will help you remind her of her agreement to pay you.

Stop sharing your extras. If she has plenty of money and you don't it is silly to provide her eggs and toilet paper. Add these things to a list and shop with her or shop for her ... but with her money.

Even though she has plenty of money when I am over there which is numerous times during the day I notice when she is out or low on things like eggs jelly Toilet paper and odds and ends so if I have extras, I share. She has written out a check for ten grand to one woman and seventeen grand to another. After reading some of these comments I decided to talk to her about paying me. My problem now is because she has dementia she denys ever agreeing to that. I have to stay close because she will go off walking and then people bring her back.

You neighbor should definitely be paying her own pay! I can't imagine why you are using your funds for co-pays, etc.

Find out what the services you provide would cost if she were to pay an agency to send someone to do them. Then sit down with her, show her the results of your research. Offer to do these things for that amount or offer her a "friend discount" if you are so inclined. But make it clear that these services cost money. If you are to continue as her paid caregiver, have a written agreement spelling out what you do and what she pays. This will protect her from it looking like she has been giving you gifts if she needs to apply for Medicaid in the future.

By all means, she needs to pay her own way! To you or to an agency. But she can't go on assuming all these services just materialize when she needs them, with no cost to her.