I have an independantly living older friend that I take to lunch and run errands for a couple of times a week. She lives in her own apartmant on a campus that also has an assisted living facility and nursing care center. Their home health service goes in every morning and makes sure she takes her meds and makes her breakfast. She has early signs of dementia. She likes me to just get her off "campus" for awhile and help her with small things at the apartment. The facility says I need liability and workmans comp insurance to be doing these things with her. We live in PA. Do I need these insurances to be helping an elderly friend? Thank You

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
I guess I am a little less suspicous of the ALF, and can kind of see there concern. They no doubt have all kinds of liability insurance. If one of their staff is helping a resident and an accident happens, their insurance covers them. If you are helping a resident and an accident happens, who is going to be financially responsible? I'm sure the ALF is worried that if you don't have the means to take financial responsibility, the lawyer involved would go after the only deep pockets in sight -- the ALF. And yet the ALF has had no control over your behavior -- they haven't trained you or supervise you.

Talk to your insurance agent. You may already have sufficient coverage as a homeowner and as a driver.

While I think I can understand where the ALF may be coming from, I can't imagine any legal grounds they would have for insisting friends of their residents carry certain kinds of insurance. As the other posters have said, who the resident's friends are and what they do together isn't any of the ALF's business.

If your friend is paying you, that may change things. And "paying" might have to be interpreted. Is she buying your lunch and giving you gas money, or paying you by the hour?

The first stop I'd make is with my friendly insurance agent.

Good luck! And let us know how this is resolved. It is interesting.
Helpful Answer (0)

Roxie, do not stop helping this woman. She needs a friend and advocate to make sure she is getting the care she needs and is paying for....that's why I think this facility is being rude to you.
It is up to them to back up their comments. If not, just ignore them and continue helping. (It would be good to know who her POAs are...just in case decisions have to be made about her care through you or the ALF.)
If you want legal advice search: Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network or the Pennsylvania Bar Association and click on "Pro Bono Services." Their services are free or reduced.
Btw, do not give these people at the ALF any information about what you are doing there or your relationship with your friend. It is NONE of their business.
good luck
Helpful Answer (0)

Thank You very much for your answer. I think I was becoming a bit paranoid. Yes I believe they are a bit upset that I'm doing for her what they could do for their fee, but if she could she would hire be full time. I do know her poa and am thinking of calling her. This lady I help has no family in the area so I am like a non blood relative to her. She doesn't drive anymore so if she wants to go somewhere, just to have a fun day she can't unless me or someone else takes her.
I've tried to find a law for PA pertaining to this issue but couldn't find one. If I have to I will contact a lawyer I guess. Thank You again...
Helpful Answer (0)

If you are visiting her as a friend and helping her with errands etc., I can't imagine that you would need insurance or all family caregivers would need it too. Is she compensating you for this work? Perhaps the facility is just peeved that you are visiting and helping out once and awhile which cuts into their profits. Also, I have found that some paid caregivers and facilities get a bit too involved with their residents and sometimes treat family and friends as "intruders."

Your friend is a resident who pays rent at this facility for their services. As such, they should have no control over her private comings and goings.

If you want to be absolutely certain, you can consult an attorney or contact the state bar association for a referral to a free legal service. Is your friend able to tell them to mind their own business? Who has her power of attorney?

The next time someone approaches you about this issue, ask them to show you, in writing, the law that would prevent you from helping your friend. I would also be concerned that they may be trying to "isloate" her for some dubious reason.
good luck...let us know what you find
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter