My father is currently in a rehab for a pressure wound- he also has some mobility issues, some incontinence and some confusion due to a stroke. I am looking for a live in care giver to help with daily activities and medication reminders. He will also need help with dressing and cleaning the wound. He is a smoker- and would like to find someone who would do some work for rent exchange.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ditto to all the very wise advice already posted. Also, please note that if you allow a caregiver to move in, that is their legal residence and your father is now a landlord in every sense of the word. If something goes "south" with that relationship you will need to extricate the tenant with an eviction notice, which is a required legal process and costs time and a fee to submit. Once the eviction notice is processed the landlord is required to post it for 30 days in their space where they can see it in order to give your tenant time to find another living arrangement. This may be the most unpleasant 30 days of your father's life. If they refuse to move out, after the 30-day posting you can then call the cops to have him/her forcibly removed. Does this sound unappealing? I hope so -- don't do it!!
Helpful Answer (0)

deaandrews, please note not many caregivers are willing to work without a salary even if they have a free room. You may want to rethink and offer an hourly salary.

Everyone needs some form of income for their own personal expenses. Example, a caregiver who has a car could help take your Dad to doctor appointments, etc. but without an income that caregiver wouldn't be able to afford gasoline, car insurance, and car maintenance. The caregiver would need a salary to pay for his/her own health insurance, and to put away money for social security and medicare.

Also please note, whenever there is a live-in caregiver or a caregiver who is self-employed, your Dad would need to contact his homeowner's insurance carrier to purchase a "workman's comp" policy. This policy is very important in case the caregiver should get hurt on the job.
Helpful Answer (1)

This isn't really an advertising column, but is a forum on which caregivers can ask questions and give advice, deandrews. That isn't to say someone won't see this, who does CNA work, and respond to you, but you need to look in your area. Try to advertise where you find some more trusted community members, check Senior Centers and look on Church Bulletin boards. Wishing you good luck. Check online in your area.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter