Need help for dementia husband, any advice?

My husband was diagnosed in Feb 2015 but was exhibiting signs since Feb 2010. I've been his only caretaker and had to quit work Jan of 2016 so I can watch him full time. He needs help bathing, dressing, toileting, but the worst is the hallucinations, delusions and constant paranoia. He's on Namenda, Quetiapine Fumarate, and Donepezil, but they don't help with the worst parts. He receives disability as well as a pension so we can't get Medicaid. I tried applying with Social Services and was denied - too much income. Also applied with the local aging service and no funding so no help there. I'm at the end of my rope. I just want to run away from the whole situation. He's 62 and I'm 53 and so depressed, lonely, burnt out but don't know where to turn. He's also in denial - doesn't think he has a disease, but still takes his pills at least. Any advice? suggestions? Only family is his daughter who has a two month old baby, her baby's father and his two daughters plus she works 40 hours a week - no help there. He has a sister, but she's in NC and can't take him. Please help!

12

Answers

Thanks 97YearOldMom, but we live in Illinois. :(

Barb,
We know you meant LoriJo. This is a new computer or website glitch. I hate it when they put different words automatically. It happens so often, that I think I will stop trying to correct mine from now on.

Lotion, is the Eldercare attorney NAELA certified?

In some states, it is called a " pooled income trust". So NYS has it, just not called Miller.

You have to wonder, Hugemom - how much is that agent "getting from the government"? It may be a salary in return for her labour rather than a social benefit, but I'll tell you what. She isn't being paid to sneer at people who are only claiming what they're entitled to.

“As of 2017, the following states are income cap states and Miller Trusts are an option to gain Medicaid eligibility: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, and Wyoming.”

From this website.

payingforseniorcare.com/medicaid-pooled-income-special-needs-trusts.html%3ftmpl=amp

Yeah, guys, this is what the Social Security agent told me. I was humiliated and felt like a money-grubbing beggar. Veronica, thanks for your selling suggestion. I may just try that!

Miller Trusts have been suggested to me as well, but we absolutely need every penny we get now, and more. However, at some point I may just explore the idea.

Lorijo, take a few hours and go on the Internet. There may be some help out there for you. You never know. I’m crossing my fingers for you!

Hey BarbBrooklyn - how come when I called the elder law attorney he didn't mention this Miller law? He told me to call homes and just ask if they'll take him and ask if they'll take what I am able to pay which is a little less than half of what most places require even with me working and slimming the budget down. Thanks BarbBrooklyn! I'll have to check this out

Huge Mom you said you are a knitter right?
Have you thought of selling stuff on Easy?
if you can do complicated patterns i think you might do well.
Just a thought.

She said WHAT, Hugemom????? What a cow.