My father-in-law needs help with bathing, cleaning his bedroom, and etc. Any advice?

My father-in-law (98) lives with us and has for the last 23 yrs.

20

Answers

You can get help if he has doctor's orders. My mother got it. It's not long term, but anything is better than nothing.

As far as a safe bathing experience, a walk in tub is helpful. Please check out walkintubsreview.org to get more information on walk in tubs.

If you call a home health agency they can walk you through the necessary steps in your area. Usually they will request you ask the Primary dr to send a prescription to them but some will actually contact the dr for you. The nurse will come once a week to set up his meds. An aid can come up to 3 times a week to bath him, change his sheets, start his laundry even prepare a simple meal. They can also clean his room if that is what he needs help with. They will explain their services. The nurse can keep his meds ordered for you and keep a record of his bp, pulse, oxygen, bowel movements etc. You may have to try a few services before you find one you like working with. Ask friends and relatives which company they use. It's a great resource. You will need to keep an eye on them. Sometimes they have a problem keeping RNs but overall worth the effort.

Terry512: Yes, while they generally don't get dirty enough to get a daily bath, it is necessary and hygenic to clean their necessary parts, especially assuming they are diapered at age 98. Sorry, I am just being factual and it is never my intention to hurt anyone's feelings.

If this is Florida, there is a long term care benefit through the state Medicaid program that covers all of this, unfortunately a waiting list

A person 98+ doesn't usually get dirty enough to require a daily bath and sometimes, a daily bath dries out their skin too much. My father lived with me for the last 9 years of his life and he went downhill quickly after the age of 75. My brother has to come over and sit him in a plastic chair and bathe him for the remainder of his time. I was tired all the time and if I had had the money, I would have hired a CNA or someone to help with things at least 3 or 4 times a week. Taking care of elderly parents is a commitment we must make so don't feel bad if you need to hire someone else to bathe him, feed him or dress him. They can also clean his room and vacuum/dust enough for him. Check his medicare, insurance, Medicaid if he has it and elder care in your city. I think there are several options for you and gook luck in your search.

Sure-home health aides.

Is he a veteran? He could apply for aid and assistance if he qualifies. I found a great lady to help us on care site. There are helpers from minimum wage all the way up to registered nurses.

You or someone in your family needs to contact the Aging and Disability Agency for your fathers are or your home area. Based on his needs he may qualify for provider care service free of charge. When a person can no longer care for themselves then these agencies need to be contacted. They will asks a series of question pertaining to your father in law capabilities (can he bath himself, can he cook for himself, can he dress himself etc) but it looks like he can no longer do for himself. You will also be asked about his financial status. This also has alot to do with him qualifying for assistance. Good luck with you father in law. Hope this helps.

My FIL has hired a bath aid for about $20 an hour for my MIL. The local DOA helped him find the service. He has to pay himself, but it;s worth it.