In need of a great peri-wash. Recommendations?

I'm looking for a great no-rinse periwash for my elderly mom.Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) you'd be willing to share to lead me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

16

Answers

If you can think creatively, you can save your money and try getting something from the baby aisle as suggested here. You can get a spray bottle pretty cheap and make your own solution by diluting soap and water into that bottle. There are many good soaps and body washes on the market. However, I must warn you that if you are caring for a female in this manner, be very careful what you use because it can make sensitive areas burn when you go to the bathroom after washed. That's because sensitive areas can become overly dry to the point they become extra sensitive and even painful. This is why I like the idea of looking in the baby aisle where you can find baby wash or baby bath. Those types of soaps are the most gentle on sensitive areas. When you look in the baby aisle for hygienics, you can also find various powders that are also gentle on sensitive areas. If you or the person you're caring for happens to get chafing, you can use some of the diaper rash products from the baby aisle that some people call "butt paste". Yes, it can have zinc oxide in it, which helps in healing of irritated skin. Some of the stuff on the market can actually help protect against the moisture during the healing process. This is why I really like the idea of shopping the baby aisle. You never know what you'll find there, but this is a very good place to look for gentle products, even oragel for toothache. You just never know what you'll find, and I really like the suggestion. One product I personally like is the baby powder due to its gentleness and very pleasant scent. Another thing I like is the fact that the containers car bigger than some of the smaller ones in other departments that may be more expensive. At least with baby powder you get more bang for your buck. There are different things in today's baby powder such as corn starch and even aloe vera. However, if you get ringworm, never use cornstarch because it feeds the ringworm and keeps growing. This is why you should always wait until the ringworm has been treated and is gone before using cornstarch baby powder for hygienic uses.

All of the above are good ideas. .. One more idea here: If you are having to clean feces off skin, sometimes it doesn't clean off easily. Especially true for patients who take iron supplements, which make the stool very dark color and tarry consistency. At the hospital, we (nurses) found that using gentle shaving cream worked really well to remove it. It also tended to minimize the odor. This would not be for just urine, but for difficult to remove stool.

I use flushable Cottonelle wipes in its own little container. You just tear off the top of the plastic and the harder plastic snaps over to keep the wipes moist. Try those...

I found disposable washcloths on Amazon, which work great. They can be heated up in the microwave. This is a plus since my mother is always cold.

I broke my hip 3 weeks ago and had surgery. They gave me some
wipes to bath with. Comfort Personall Cleansing. They felt good and
easy to use and no rinse. I'm sure you can purchase them from a medical
supply store or online.
Hope this helps.

I also washed my mother's naked body. She allowed it. Before that, she would have been mortified! I used a small container filled with soapy, warm water and a towel for dry off. I dried her top part off and then washed the bottom half.

Amazon has a variety of such products. I, too, tend toward Medline as it's used in our local hospital. Try a variety and see what works the best.

Christine, Thanks for asking the question. I have had to take care of my wife's hygiene increasingly. I am still able to help her into the shower where I have been able to rinse her everywhere using the shower head in my hand attached via a cable/tube. I know that our time is limited using the above solution. I shall prepare for the future in advance.

Medline has some nice ones.

Heck cwillie, recently my GYN had me stand legs wide over a disposable bed pad and cough to see if I "leaked". Later I got a bill in the mail for $20 and they called it a test! Same bed pads I buy at Freddie's - 18 for about $7!