I've never taken care of a man (95) who has his bowel movements in the afternoon. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

I've never taken care of a man (95) who has his bowel movements in the afternoon. Any advice?

I have never taken care of a man. He does wear a diaper. I start caring for this gentleman next weekend.

21

Answers

1 2 3
Jinglebts: I know, right....very annoying!

I find it extremely annoying that there IS NO EDIT BUTTON ON THIS SITE!! Argh!! Admin, please take note!

Are you sure that you want to do this or do you have to? Caregiving is difficult, at best.

This sounds terrible to say, but I'm glad my father passed away before I had to perform these tasks for him. 6' 4" and over 400 lbs. No way can I see that working out very well for me. Not to mention the childhood issues I had with him - I think I'd have had a hard time performing those chores.

MeatJeanne - you actually brought up an excellent point about the "equipment" that a male has, which has to be dealt with. It's extremely important to remember that in an elderly male, that "equipment" ....well, let's just say it - it hangs lower than it does in a younger man. This poses a risk for that equipment getting caught in things or pinched - especially where a hoyer lift is being used. I think all CNAs and caregivers that have to use this sort of equipment should be aware of this and educated on how to handle transfer of a male in a hoyer. My father was mishandled by the CNAs at the nursing home and suffered a pretty nasty injury that must have been very painful.

I have had no training whatsoever and I sometimes have to care for my wheelchair bound father who often has accidents. There is always a terrible mess and the smell is horrible, but hey, that's life. And that's how I treat the situation, no fuss, no big deal. I usually move him to his commode and shower him, but this isn't always necessary. Once patted down and powdered he is fresh and happy.

Just trying NOT to offend... should have said.

I asked my niece, who is an RN....she didn't live in this state. My husband had Alzheimer. I wasn't sure how to change pants in bed, and to clean him, or how to change the dirty sheets under him when an accident (he couldn't get up at the time). I too wondered about poop.... trying to find nice words here .... how to clean him properly since he had different stuff down there than I did !! Not being funny, just trying to offend. I did the best I could, made sure he was always wiped clean after with Wipes, cornstarch powder. He never smelled, no rashes. Home Health couldn't believe how well I took care of him by myself.
In other words....NO question is silly or stupid. If you don't ask, it's an automatic no... so to speak.

And cwillie all is forgotten. Yes CNA do not extensive training. It must be daunting.

Yes greender this is a great site for info and venting.

I so wish I had found this forum long before, instead of a year *after*, my sweet lover's 10-year decline (including incontinence and forgetting how to use a toilet) following his diagnosis of Parkinson's disease (I was never completely convinced it wasn't something else that mimicked it and could be healed) and death in 2014 at a young age 77 following a fall. It would have made such a difference to have had the benefit of talking with all you knowledgeable, responsible and, most importantly, *real* people who have chosen to accept the oh-so-difficult role of caregiver. Now, at least, I know I will be better prepared when my mother gets to the point of needing care. Thank you all for being who you are and for sharing your questions, answers, observations, complaints, sorrow, humor, and brilliance. I tell everyone I know who is caring for, or will eventually care for, an elder about this site.

1 2 3