I need activities for my 90 year old mom. She can do everything on her on. Suggestions?

my mother is always trying to buy thing or change her bills to other company.

15

Answers

how about playing the Nintendo wii, my grandma is 90 and she really liked bowling, golf and darts, unable to hold the bowling ball anymore, the wii is a good was to stay active, stimulate the brain and have a great laugh!

I an companion for a 90 year woman....she has been in assisted living for the past 9 months. She has just come to live with her daughter, the daughter needs her time so I'm with the mom....I've only been with her once, and know she needs to adjust...I'm trying to find things for her to be entraining

My Mother is 88, she can't see well, she's not really mobile or interested in much, but she loves to play mahjong on the computer. It's not like real mahjong, although she plays that too. It's very easy and so many people seem to love it. You basically click on matching tiles.

We are sitting here, with my 90 YO MIL, tossing a ball into a clothes basket. She needed to practice for her exercise class.

I was thinking of getting my Mom started on creating mosaics. I figured, if she created things she had no need/room for, she could give them away as gifts. But it would keep her creative and occupied. Any thoughts?

It's hard to know where to start! There are so many great things she can do. What does she like? My mom loves doing word search puzzles, listening to music, gardening, doing needlework (she even donates some to the needy), chatting, and going places. She enjoys the pets too. My grandmother has Alzheimer's but she still plays the organ, gardens, arranges flowers (along with my Mom), plays with her birds, eats out, shops, and crochets. We go places with both of them. Before my grandfather died, he loved going to the senior center and playing table tennis. My mom loves to be read aloud to. Think about her interests and ask her what she thinks would be fun to do.

You may want to go to a website called "eldergym". When you join for free, you will have access to an e-book that has a multitude of exercises for seniors. Volunteering for something that interests your Mom is another option. Joining a senior center in the area will provide her with activities. Good Luck

My Mother is 90 also and I have problems keeping her occupied. This would not work for everyone but we volunteer at the humane society and take in kittens who need to be bottle fed. This has done wonders for my Mother as she takes care of them and it gives her something to focus on (besides me - haha.) Of course I need to be there to supervise but she really does well. I think as we age we need something young in our lives. In other cultures the elderly stay with the young in one house because it is a win-win situation. Not so in America where we ship our elderly off so we do not have to watch the inevitable decline. It probably is because this culture values work above all else and when you can no longer work you are no longer valuable. Sorry just had to vent - I detest the way we treat our elderly in this country.

My mom lives in an Assisted Living facility for memory care. They have an impressive calendar of events in the clubhouse. If you really look at it, it doesn't offer much in the way of activities for stimulating their brains. And a lot of times they don't do the activities they say they're going to do.

Earlier this year, I took my mom to the zoo. She had to be pushed in a wheelchair as her knees are severely arthritic. I took pictures of everything, including getting pictures of her an I. I bought a photo album and we put it together. I had her pick what pictures she wanted and in what order. Now, any special event, I take pictures and we add to her photo album.

My mom is only 76 but she and I went to Michael's yesterday. I bought some little heavy cardboard boxes for us to paint and some seashells to glue on the boxes. Also, some stickers if she wants to use them. We got some wooden flowers and wooden animal figures. Oh, and some wooden masks of animals that have a wooden handle on it that we can even use as a fan when we're done. I bought a couple extra pieces for my mom's best friend at the facility to join us when my mom wants her to or if her friend asks. Those are my ideas. I know others here will have just as good or better ideas. These people are wonderful and full of ideas. Blessings!

Think about what your mom liked to do in the past. My precious MIL loved grocery stores and cooking. Even though I knew I could fly through the store and complete my shopping in 20 minutes, I'd take her along, knowing we'd be there for two hours! She loved it ... reading labels on new items, looking at the produce, etc. My own mother loved to sew, knit, crochet and make quilts, so I take her to the Bernina store, Hobby Lobby and Michaels, just so she can look at the new machines and touch the fabrics and admire stitching. I took her to Neiman's three years ago and we found a buttercream yellow, brocade dress on a mannequin just like one she made for me when I was 13 years old. The $3,400 dress didn't have half the detail she put into the scalloped dress she made back then -- and she offered an excellent critique! (No handpicked zipper? No French seams? No Hong Kong finishes? How much do they want for this dress????) Let's just say she impressed the lady waiting on us! We all chuckled and had a great time. Again, draw on your mom's interests and you'll both have a great time!