Need a QUALITY wheelchair! - AgingCare.com

Need a QUALITY wheelchair!

I'm anxious to purchase a VERY high-quality, lightweight wheelchair that I can use for my 93 year-old mother. I am in my early 70s, and the wheelchair we have is much too heavy and cumbersome for me to handle. My mother is currently using a walker, but we REALLY need to have a wheelchair very soon! Does anyone have suggestions?

21

Answers

1 3
I didn’t know better but a rehab hospital got me a wheelchair thru Medicare. It’s just an ordinary wheelchair. Heavy, etc. Medicare paid over $800 bucks for it. Then I started to get monthly bills too. The new year rolled around and Medicare paid another $800 for the Same chair! More monthly bills came in. Which I threw out. I got in touch with Medicare to ask why they keep paying on the same chair? I got no where with that call. Do wheel chairs really cost $1600? Be careful what you wish for by getting a chair thru Medicare, unless you can go to the medical supplier to see the chair first, plan on seeing monthly bills that never end.
Reply to Rosemary44

if you are paying out of pocket, I suggest checking out huge retailers. I just got a nice "transport" chair from Walgreens on sale for $89. Because I had collected "points" from prior purchases, I got another $20 discount. They usually put things on sale @ holidays. You can keep an eye on walgreens.com for upcoming (and current) sales. If you order online you can choose ship to store and save shipping costs. I am right there with you dear. I am a 24/7 for my my physically disabled mom who also has dementia. My womb keeps dropping from lifting that crazy heavy wheelchair in and out of trunk of car. Just have to assemble this baby that just arrived from Walgreens and pray it will help. I am 60 -- and have my own areas of weakness healthwise...hope this helps & God Bless You.
Reply to JUZ4GMA

I bought a regular wheelchair through White Dove. Found out if was too heavy and cumbersome. Part of my wife's home care is supplied by Hospice. When I mentioned this problem to them. they had a transport chair delivered the next day.
Reply to Bruce814

If you want Medicare to pay for a wheelchair, you will need to get one from the Medicare-approved supplier(s) in your area, You may have to do some checking--her doctor may not know which supplier(s) are Medicare-approved.Your selection will be limited to specific models, so this Medicare requirement may not fit well with your mother's needs.
Reply to caroli1

There is still a co-pay for Medicare provided equipment.
Reply to Veronica91

Wheelchairs are covered by Medicare part B if she has the traditional coverage. It has to be medically necessary and ordered by a doctor. If you live by a large medical center, they often have seating clinics so she will be properly fitted and given an appropriate chair. You will be able to express your needs and get a good chair. As a physical therapist, I do not recommend using the donated chairs unless she only needs one occasionally. Proper fitting and maintenance are important in safe wheelchair use.
Reply to Jeanettekay

Why not ask at the local retirement centers - folk who have passed on may leave their chair there. They may sell it cheap because they may have too many. Then you can choose.
Reply to VJFriesen6939

This has been such a helpful thread. I had no idea there were walkers that could also be used as transport wheelchairs - and that is just what my Mom needs! I found one on Amazon for a reasonable price: amazon.com/Roscoe-Transport-Rollator-Burgundy-Capacity/dp/B00MECBXEY/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1519763390&sr=8-7&keywords=wheelchair+walker&dpID=51oTVZ3VSIL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.
Reply to chdottir

Medicare usually will pay for your first wheelchair as long as prescribed by a doctor. Get a really good one. Buy the transport one yourself for your car. I always took his wheelchair cushion and put it on the transport chair when using that one. I also always took the leg rests off before putting it in the trunk. The larger back wheel with the hand brakes is the better transport chair. Check Costco vs Amazon.
Reply to Barb53

We have "Drive" combo wheelchair and walker purchased on WalMart.com for about $149.00. It can be used as walker or pushed as a wheelchair. Very lightweight (I'm 64 and have no problems lifting it). Wheels are large enough to go wherever we need - but without the weight of those "Medicare furnished" wheelchairs.Would recommmend purchasing thicker cushion (also available on-line) for reasonable price -
Reply to desert192

1 3