My son is suffering from sleep paralysis. What should I do?

For the past week, my son has been suffering from sleep paralysis. I don’t know if this is normal but having to deal with it for how many days is not normal anymore. My 15 year old kid kept on telling me that he’s having nightmares and bad dreams, which I don’t like. I read an article in a foreign site talking about the death of a girl who had a sleep paralysis. Please tell me what should I do. My son is at risk here. Hear me please.

3

Answers

I should probably add that I needed to train my sleep cycles. I never use an alarm, I just wake up naturally and never try to force myself to sleep. Napping during the day also makes it worse.
Reply to tacy022

The first time I had sleep paralysis that I remember fully, I was in elementary school and my babysitter let me watch A Nightmare on Elm Street. It was a vivid scary dream and I woke up frozen after I scratched my own arm. So what are the dreams about? The nightmares are so vivid that you remember them and "feel" them the next day. Talking about them may help.

Sleep paralysis has alot to do with sleep cycles. If your kid is 15, he probably drinks an energy drink like Red Bull or Monster...take them away, they make it worse. Also, open the lines of communication with your kid and see what is bothering him, it gets worse during times of stress. Take the TV out of his room or make sure it is off while he's sleeping and make sure he gets enough sleep.

Go to the doctor and have a checkup.
Reply to tacy022
worriedDAD Aug 10, 2018
Yes, had a schedule with the doctor already. Thank you so much for your advice. It's a big help!
(1)
Have you talked to your pediatrician?

hmayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcolepsy/symptoms-causes/syc-20375497

Your son would probably benefit from a sleep study. Call your pediatrician today so that you and your son can stop worrying about this.
worriedDAD Aug 10, 2018
Yup, done with that. Thanks!
(1)