My sister has Alzheimer's and is forgetting to eat or thinks she has ate. Anyone experienced this? - AgingCare.com

My sister has Alzheimer's and is forgetting to eat or thinks she has ate. Anyone experienced this?

My sister lives by herself & is in the country & refuses to move - so having meals on wheels delivered to her home is a problem. Leaving food for her in the fridge
to eat is still there two to three weeks later.Leaving frozen meals for her to heat up is no longer an option.She cannot turn her oven on because she forgets how to to do that task.

4

Answers

Mom lost ten pounds last year because we could not monitor her. All we knew is that if we took her to lunch, she hadn't eaten breakfast (although she said she did) and often skipped dinner. When she did go to dinner, she would hide food from the IL restaurant in her purse so she didn't have to eat it. It would petrify in her purse or on a cabinet shelf. Malnutrition and dehydration just makes the dementia worse.

Ditto. Your sister needs to be in assisted living. Her behavior is much like my mother's was. First she ate only tv dinners, then she stopped that. She couldn't work the oven, she burned up pots heating soup (the only thing she ate besides yogurt and sweets). Food we brought would rot in the fridge. Please, get your sister out of the house and into a facility who will look after her. It may take legal action for you to get a POA and declare her incompetent though.

Good lord yes! This is dangerous. She needs 24/7 supervision either at home or in a facility.

She is no longer safe alone. Find her a safe place. Get Guardianship and move her to 24/7 care before she burns the house down.

• Dementia Aware. What does that mean? I read this all the time. Dementia aware restaurants, public places, even dementia aware cities.
  • Wearing purple, using hashtags and changing your profile picture on social media won't end Alz, but there are other significant ways that you can have a beneficial impact on patients and families who are dealing with dementia.
  • People with Alzheimer's and dementia often experience difficulty with recalling the names and faces of their family, friends, and professional care team. In some cases, though, all they need is a little help to mentally connect the dots.
  • As a dementia patient, I can still handle the chaos of Christmas Day, but I expect there will come a time when I can no longer cope.
  • The stories we hear and the stories we tell define who we are and how we perceive our world. Alzheimer's is perceived by many as a story-stealer, but a courageous group of caregivers and patients aim to change the view of Alzheimer's disease.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips for preventing elopement during episodes of wandering.
  • While caregivers and their loved ones affected by dementia should not give up hope of leading rewarding and enjoyable lives, it is important to be realistic about an Alzheimer's or dementia diagnosis.