My sister has had PD 22 years and can't stand up from her chair on her own. She is afraid to use the lift chair. Any ideas?

She has a lift chair but is afraid to use the lift part for fear of her feet sliding outward and her falling onto the floor. Ideas please.

Has she tried the chair with someone else present? Has this actually happened to her?
Gain, my Dad had a lift chair, the best thing since sliced bread in his opinion. What Dad did was put his walker in front of the chair so he had something to grab onto while the chair was lifting. That seemed to work for him.

Lift chairs come in different sizes, so having the correct size is better. My Dad was short, so he had a shorter lift chair, which he rented... kinda like a test drive before purchasing.
I've got to say that mom's old home care aide had a lot of stories about falls and near falls from lift chairs, they're not always the solution for everyone.
Has she had any PT to help her stand unaided?
thank you for those replies. my sister is alone all day. I live 4 miles away. she calls me to come over and help her stand and I can't always go then. the walker in front of the chair sounds good but she needs to be "pulled up" to stand. the life chair fits her well, it is the third one she's had. she is afraid of sliding out of the chair and yes she has slid out before.
Gail--

So if you can't run over to help your sister at the drop of a hat, what happens? How does she get around during the day? I am hoping she has some kind of in home care, she shouldn't be left alone at all!

Those lift chairs are great for some people, and the idea of placing the walker in front is great--but that will not work for everyone and the fear of falling for PD patients is overwhelming....she needs to work with an OT to figure out how to work this out.

I'm really hoping she doesn't live alone....
I agree. With such a struggle with getting up, what would she do in case of fire? I think her fear of standing unaided is valid. I'd take heed. It may be that she needs assistance around the clock. I'd hate to see her get a fall and injury.
My first thought as well was what might happen during an emergency.

The only suggestion I have is a more complex one, similar to arrangements I've seen in rehab and in some hospital rooms. It's a trapeze device, anchored in the ceiling studs, and can be pulled down to hold onto, but retracts when released.

It's been quite a while since I've seen one, but I also vaguely recall using it for arm exercises. I also saw patients holding it while easing toward the edge of the bed and getting out. What I don't recall was whether or not someone needed to be present to guide the bar to the individual in bed.

It would have to be positioned low enough for her to grab when she's sitting, so that might be an issue b/c it probably wouldn't retract much higher and could be in her way when she gets up again.

And it would have to be installed by a carpenter to ensure it's properly anchored in the studs.

I suspect it would be more costly as well.

Recently I wanted to contact companies that did retrofitting for assistive devices. The Alzheimer's Assn. was kind enough to send me a list of companies. The Area Agency on Aging might have some as well.

While not necessarily providing assistance only for a lift bar, they may have other suggestions.

I've seen the poles as well (like stripper poles), anchored both in the ceiling and the floor, but there's really not as much stability in grabbing onto a pole and pulling oneself up.
If it's only the height of the chair, I'd work on that. Like, can she rise up on her own, if the chair height is high? My LO had trouble and so her chairs were just up high. She had an adjustable recliner that was set high up and she never moved it. She had a booster on the toilet so it was high. Her bed was high too. So, she had no reason to be down low, HOWEVER, if she were to fall, she may not be able to get up. That happened with my LO a couple of times. When the mobility is very limited, it's just so risky to not have a person under the same roof.
Sunny's post reminded me of another possible solution - bars, similar to balance bars, on either side of the chair. Again, they'd have to be solidly anchored, and the chair would have to be narrow enough that she could comfortably reach bars on both sides.
Not only can her feet slip, but if her leg strength is weak, her knees may give way. There are various types of DME called 'stand aids.' Most are for use by a caregiver, but some are not. None are inexpensive.