My sister has had PD 22 years and can't stand up from her chair on her own. She is afraid to use the lift chair. Any ideas?

She has a lift chair but is afraid to use the lift part for fear of her feet sliding outward and her falling onto the floor. Ideas please.

22

Answers

1 2 3
I'm still concerned about her safety should an emergency arise. And, she will decline more too, so you may begin to look at other living arrangements. I have not been prepared for each of Dad's big declines, and often find myself catching up with the latest problems.

Balance bars were costly but I did find the Superpole intriguing. I'm gonna search that out if I can get her to agree. So often I work at problem solving issues for her and she won't follow thru ie: for taking meds on time ...buying her an med alarm watch, set the watch, put it on her wrist and return to find she has taken it off and has gotten off her med schedule again :(
She is a challenge. I prayed to the Lord for patience and He gave me my sister! LOL
Thank you to all that gave suggestions!

We used a Superpole in the bathroom, it is a pole that is anchored between the floor and ceiling joists so you don't need to hire a carpenter and it can be moved if necessary. The pole can be used on it's own but we purchased one with an adjustable arm (which I think might be what you need), they also have one with a trapeze bar. Try google to find a supplier, or search for bed assist rails for more ideas.

GardenArtist, I like the balance bars idea. I can see her reaching forward and pulling herself up. I wonder where to get such a device?

Gail; Has your sister applied for medicaid? Or is she assuming that she doesn't qualify?

Sister is 70, disability not available., financially does not qualify for help, you have to be in extreme poverty to qualify, lower-middle class can get no assistance. She is pretty independant in the house IF she could get out of her chair!

Is she on Disability? Would she qualify for Medicaid? It is disgraceful that in the US health care is determined by what you can afford. Healthcare for profit stinks. But as that is the way it is, she should take advantage of any financial help she may be eligible for.

And please do not feel guilty that you can't spend every day with her. You have a life, too.

I wonder if an adult day health program might be a good option for her some days. Medicaid covers that, and some programs have sliding scales or scholarsips for those not on Medicaid. It would provide interaction with other adults and a change of scenery. Plus safety for her mobility issues.

A lot of ideas and questions...thank you. she has PD so she has times "on" and "off". Times she can get up and times she can't She wants a day care worker but can not afford services, they are soooo expensive. A stationary anchored bar sounds interesting but it would have to be off to the side so the recliner would work. After she is up, she can walk. It's very frustrating. She wants me with her every day and it's not possible.

With my husband’s lift chair, we put a larger size bath rug, with rubber backing down and his walker in front of him. I always made sure he had shoes on and not stockinged feet. You might even want to ask someone from where you purchased it or have your doctor prescribe the services of a health Care aide twice a week to work with her to get her unafraid.

I think that at a certain point, a lift chair is just not enough. Then it's time for live in-person help. My dad (with PD) passed the point of using his lift chair earlier this year.

1 2 3