My parents nursing home appears to have placed a listening device outside my mum’s room.Why would they snoop on our conversations? - AgingCare.com

My parents nursing home appears to have placed a listening device outside my mum’s room.Why would they snoop on our conversations?

Are they entitled to do this? I became aware one day when I was having a conversation with my mum about a pencil case that was missing. It had been missing for a while but the day after the conversation the pencil case appeared back in her room.
The manager of the home and her friend who is one of the activities coordinators have also had a snoop at my FB page recently. All of this makes me uneasy and I’m not sure what to do or if I should trust them with the care of my parents. I only realised the listening device was there today when I took a closer look at it. Previously I had thought it was something to do with the heating.

17

Answers

Els, a word about FB and its tracking mechanisms....I have never been a member, never used it, so there's no reason to conclude that I might be interacting with other members based on my own computer activity.

However, several years ago I received 2 solicitations from FB, under the guise of "knowing" or "communicating" with other FB members. Besides including a relative and the salon where I get my hair permed, there was one person who was a potential contractor.

He sent me a quote by e-mail, as we discussed. I never e-mailed him, nor was I aware he was an FB member. Yet FB was able to determine that he sent me a quote.

The only way it could do that is through some monitoring system of his mail, and recipients.

Big Brother isn't the government; it's FB and tracking devices (such as cookies) on line.

Hi Pepsee,
No I don’t live in the NH area. They don’t either and live even further away. We have no mutual friends either. If you do have FB lists them by number underneath your profile pic. I haven’t always lived where I live at the moment. I used to live about 150mls away but now only 15mls. Thanks, I will let you know what happens. Her special needs are that she has late stages Alz. The home state in their glossy brochure that they are trained to nurse residents with Alz, although on a couple of occasions when my mum became aggressive suddenly there were large multi agency meetings and the manager was suggesting that they wouldn’t look after my mum any more. The aggression settled down and they are ok now but the real reason for not wanting her appears to be inadequate staffing in the evenings and weekends and appropriately qualified staffing. 
Reply to Els1eL

Hello Els,
I would be uneasy too, kinda creeped out. One thing I was thinking tho about FB is, do you live in the area of the NH? Have you always lived there?

Since the workers at the home also live in the area, you both might have the same person(s) on your friends list. That would definitely cause them, and others, to pop up on "ppl you might know". Just a thought.

Plz let us know if you ask someone what's on Mom's door. I'd really like to know why they singled Mom out. Does she have any special needs that would require added monitoring/security?
Reply to Pepsee

Thank you for all your replies. I am honestly not all that concerned with things going missing at the NH. It happens all the time and is to be expected under the circumstances. Often things turn up. It was just the coincidence of the pencil case turning up more or less right after our conversation that prompted me to look for any listening device. None of the other residents have one beside their doors neither does my dad’s roomhave one.
I know they have been looking at my FB because they both popped up in my people you may know section. I keep my FB very private and only really post family pictures or days out on it for my reference. I don’t post anything to do with the home at all. I also have never uploaded my e-mail or phone contacts to FB and I have no common ground with the two members of staff. A colleague of mine who is well qualified and in I.T. said that in those circumstances the only way they would pop up there is if they had purposefully searched me out on FB. It just makes me uneasy.
Reply to Els1eL

Icecream (ooooh, your screen name is sooo cooling, especially on this very, very hot day!), the hospital we typically went to had pages and two-way communication devices for each of the staff members, who were literally in constant contact with other staff. It provided a rapid means of communication. I wonder about the issue of monitoring staff members; everyone seems to have so much to do, especially with all the electronic charting now required, that I wonder how and for what issues staff would be monitored. They are required to chart, and probably get a lot of unwanted feedback from dissatisfied patients.

I also wondered how it could be detected that someone read someone's FB page. I've never used it (never will) so I'm not familiar with what others can see or how it works if someone is "friended" or not "friended".

Something one of the kids told me -- if you check out (view) someone's FB page frequently (or maybe it's just a few times), your name pops up in the "someone you may know" list.
Reply to talkey

The only way I know if someone has looked at my FB stuff is if they leave a comment or leave a "like" icon. If there is some other way, I'd like to know what it is.
Reply to jeannegibbs

Freqflyer,
Not that I know of with FB that's why I asked how she knew they snooped her page.
Reply to Pepsee

Els1eL, I agree with the other writers regarding the Staff wouldn't have time to snoop on someone's conversations. Does your Dad's room have the same thing, as in your title you mentioned "parents".

I don't use Face Book and was wondering if one can tell who actually did read a person's facebook page. Is there a list of names of who took a look at a page? Just curious.

The have them in hospitals too. It used for care need purposes. Say a resident falls and the yell "I fell on the floor" the desk can hear it. I also believe it's so staff members found be monitored.
Reply to wuvsicecream