My mother lives with me and is currently in rehab. The therapist there says she needs 24/7 care. Will Medicaid pay for home care?

She is on Social Security, has no assets and a $5000.00 life insurance policy for funeral expenses. To get her the care she needs I will have to put her on Medicaid. I would like to get her home care for 5 days a week while I am at work, will Medicaid pay for this, how much will they leave her from her Social Security and will they take my salary into consideration? I live on Long Island in New York.

3

Answers

It maybe better to have her go to a NH. Medicaid will cover that but not 40+ care at home. I would talk to the Social Worker at the rehab and explain that u cannot care 24/7 for Mom and what are ur options.

She may be eligible for far less than 5 days a week.

They won't take your salary into consideration. See an elder law attorney, New York has some unusual and innovative policies on Medicaid. Maybe BarbBrooklyn will be by to help more.
Reply to gladimhere