My mother is 96-years-old and sleeps a great deal during the day, and isn't eating very much. Is this normal?

23

Answers

1 2 3
Let her sleep! This is totally normal...do you realize how exhausting it must be to live a century and then be expected to "act normally" by your children and younger family members? My mother in law did this for 5 years: eat a little, take a nap, get up for a spell, take a nap...she just passed at 98! This is the winding down of an active life; listen to her needs and don't force her into things you think she ought to be doing.

My mom is 96, pretty healthly she also sleeps alot durning the day not really sleeping at times but just laying in bed. I think they are just bored, she was always very active but now cannot move around to much with fear of falling. Best thing you can do for your parent is getting them out, mall, eat out any change of pace will help.

Watch food matters and living health

Food matters on youtube

My mom is 92 she wants to lay in bed for it is hard for her to walk for when she sits and try to get up from the chair it is like death weigh

Talk to her doctor about the choking. She might need a swallowing assessment, which is done by a speech therapist. She may need to be taught some swallowing techniques, or be given softer foods.

This kind of swallowing problem can lead to aspiration pneumonia, which is very dangerous, so please call the doctor today.

My Grandma is 99 and the last couple of weeks she is not eating as much and sleeps most of the day. Today when she had a slice of bread she choked on it then stopped eating, lately choking when ever she does eat and is sleeping most of the day. She lives with my dad 78 for the last 2 yrs. Grandma is deaf and total blind in 1 eye and has 20% in the other. I weighed her today and she is 39kgs.

My 84 year mom sleeps all day and night, urinates in bed and eats less. Should I force her to get up and eat, remind her to use bathroom? She is able to walk and eat, even engages in limited conversations

my mom is 81 had 2 falls in 6 months 2 surgeries, an has been back and forth to 4 different hospitals and a awful rehabilitation center which we decided to take her out of and take care of her ourselves...there are 4 of us and with her attitude and disposition it gets very hard to take care of her she is doing a lot better than she was but we have to constantly push her she gets up to sit in her recliner but asks to go back to baed in a hour or so my sister and brother argur over whether we should keep her up or make her happy and let her go back to bed which I know isn't healthy for her.....should we give her what she wants and let her be happy or do what's best for her and keep her up and moving???

My mother-in-law is 94, soon to be 95 in May and has gone through a tough few years of hip surgeries and vascular surgery to increase circulation in her feet. She just got home from the convalescent hospital after 7 weeks of drip antbiotics because the bone in her leg was infected after the vascular surgery. Now, she sleeps about 18 hours/day and night with a break for food/toilet. She is ambulatory, but seems a little disengaged; maybe because of hearing loss (she can't seem to find her hearing aids, or she doesn't like to put them in). My husband is worried that she sleeps so much, but I think that is totally normal because she is still healing from the trauma of the previous surgery. At the convalescent center, they woke her up constantly (they had to give her the IVs, get her up for rehab exercise, fed her 3 times daily, etc). Plus, the place was very noisy; her roommate had her TV on all night! Now she is back with us in a comfortable room and bed, surrounded by her family and two little dogs which provide constant companionship. When she is up, she eats usually 1 or 2 times a day and has a healthy appetite. The best part is that she is not in pain anymore, and says that she feels fine when she gets up. I thInk it is best to let her sleep; we will see -- after such an onslaught of medical problems, it is only normal.

1 2 3