My mother has cataracts, and I know that if she would have the surgery for both eyes she would see better, but she refuses. How to convince her? - AgingCare.com

My mother has cataracts, and I know that if she would have the surgery for both eyes she would see better, but she refuses. How to convince her?

I know she has a lot of trouble with her vision. She is worried she will go blind with the surgery. She also has macular degeneration. How can I convince her (she has dementia) that she will see better with the surgery or can it be done through physician request without getting her permission as she has dementia. I feel bad for her becuase I have the feeling she would see much better if she had the surgery which sounds fairly routine.

15

Answers

I think you need to het her in to see an opthamologist to evaluate her cataratcts. S/he can advise you and your mom about whether surgery would be helpful at this point.

My Mother who is now 91 has resisted cataract surgery for 20 years and would not even go back to the Dr after diagnosis. . Despite testimonies of success from numerous friends and family, she has refused. She is in excellent mental and physical health except for her vision. Her total blindness has shocked her in to reality. Is she still a candidate for surgery?

My mother has had cataracts for 20 years. Despite numerous friends and relatives telling her of the great results they had from surgery, she refused to even go back to the Dr. She is now totally blind and 91 years old. In perfect physical and mental health except for her vision. Would surgery help now or not? I will stop trying to encourage her if not.

I talked about this to my doctor at Killeen Vision Source and even he recommended that your father should get injections ASAP before his eyes get affected.

I have had detached retina and cataracts, but not bleeding. My second cataract surgery "caused" my second detached retina. I was at high risk anyway, and they were able to fix it, so it was worth the risk. The surgery is easy and not painful, but there can be consequences if the eyes are already fragile, as mine were.

I'm not a doctor, but I think the bleeding is worse than the cataracts, and it should be treated first. It's hard to have to make these complicated decisions, when you and I aren't experts, and we know that the doctors are only human. Good luck!

my father has cataract that is ready to be removed. he alos has macular degeneration. The doc said to remove ASAP since he will see much brighter and in
depth. He sees very dark and would like to see better. When I went for consultation they realized some bleeding behind the eyes. There are different opinions if we should give the injectiions first for the bleeding, or remove the cataracts. The doc said its very big and ti remove right away and get injections
in between. He already got one 2 weeks ago. If I wait 3 weeks do you think it will affect his eyes and see even worse?

I hope that anyone who needs eye care gets it! My Moms vision could have been protected had she followed the Dr's orders!! I tried and tried, she put it off and off now...its too late Macular degeneration has left her legaly blind.

When I had my cataract surgery (I am 55, and had to have the cataract out because it was making my glaucoma worse) they only gave me anesthetic drops in my eyes, and a relaxing IV. It was wonderful. I felt fine, there was no pain, and I don't know what was in that stuff, but I couldn't have cared less that someone was in my eyeball with a scalpel.

It kind of glosses over things that happened during that day, so the older person will not recall much of the day. I didn't, and a person with issues, even less. I think a person with dementia will forget it even happened in a week.

Mom has cataracts right now. They do not impair her vision (at least that what she says.) Her eye doctor does not see that they have progressed that much. If I were in her shoes, I would have the surgery done. Compared to other surgeries, this one is relatively safe. When my grandmother had her surgery done, I could not believe how much it contributed to her quality of life.
I am not normally prone to suggest surgery for an elderly person - just because of the risks of anesthesia, etc. But cataract surgery is probably one of the least risky.
However, you do need to ask her doctor if it would be risky because of her macular degeneration. I would be interested to know that.
good luck

I didn't find putting the drops in my husband's eyes too big of a problem (compared to all the other problems we have in relation to his poor health). The cataract operations cleared up his vision although he continued to fuss for about six months about still having "floaters". My husband thought the surgery would be much more difficult than it was and after his first surgery, he didn't dread the second one. If you think it would be safer (accident-wise) for your mom to have the cataracts removed then I would suggest that you take whatever route you need to so that the surgeries take place. If your mom is suffering from dementia, now is probably the time when you will have to start "parenting" your mother and, for example, arrange medical treatments for her that you think are in her best interest just like you would do for a child. Has your mom given you the legal right to do this yet? Or could the family doctor order such a treatment? Just a few thoughts for whatever they are worth. I've "been there" with my mom and know how tough it is to parent a mother. Good luck.