My mother has been asleep for nearly 2 days and won't wake up...is this normal? - AgingCare.com

My mother has been asleep for nearly 2 days and won't wake up...is this normal?

My 87 year old mother with dementia has been asleep for nearly 2 whole days. I've tried to wake her but she just stays asleep. I've been giving her small amounts of liquid which she will swallow. I haven't got her to eat anything though.

15

Answers

Relieved for you and your mom, sguyton83, that she's not in any pain. I'm sorry for you with her though. I was in your shoes last month. Mom's hospice nurses said it's best just to let her sleep and try not to rouse her. Mom may have been having TIAs and they said she just needs to sleep. Her body will wake her up if need be.

It's hard, but I and my sisters did our best to keep her body in comfort and send off her spirit in peace. {hug}
Reply to MountainMoose

She is still sleeping. The nurse came by to check her vitals, which are fine. She is breathing normally and isn't in any pain.
Reply to sguyton83

Her mom is on hospice, hospice is who she needs to call not 911
Reply to worriedinCali

Call 911right away ,,,
Reply to ohmeowzer

Sguyton83, how is mom doing? In this situation, hospice is to be called not 911. Its not uncommon for this to happen but it could be a stroke or something else. If she's sleeping hospice will not want you to drug her. Its entirely up to you, you don't have to give her any medication.
Reply to worriedinCali

Knowing your mom in under Hospice care changes everything!

Yes, in this situation, sleeping non stop IS normal. Her body is shutting down. Call Hospice and talk to your contact there.

Yes, Hospice will provide drugs to keep the patient out of pain, that's what they're for. They don't "come in and drug her to death" death occurs naturally and in peace.

Sounds like you need to wrap your brain around the fact that mom is in her last days or weeks of life. I am sorry for your situation, so many of us have been right where you are.

Nothing is "wrong" death is as natural as can be. Please don't let your mom be in pain, ok? Even giving her liquids by mouth can be excruciating to someone whose digestive system is shut down.

Please get some help from your hospice support group.
Reply to Midkid58

Does your Mom seem to respond that you are giving her liquid. Does she open her mouth to receive the liquid? A couple of weeks before my Mom passed, she first refused to get out of bed. She closed her eyes and never opened them again. She didn't want to be touched and reacted by pulling her arm away. But never opened her eyes. I was called and told she no longer could swallow, thats when I asked for hospice. You do need to call them. A nurse can tell you if she is in her final days.

I agree with Jeanne. Casting about and wondering what’s wrong is not good for your stress level. And assuming that Hospice will drug Mom up and let her die may not be the way it would go either. Please take everyone’s advice and call Hospice right away. And come back here as often as you can to let us know how you’re doing.

A lot of people (including me) would like to die in their sleep. Your mother is on hospice, and assumed to be close to dying. Sleeping may not be a bad condition for her, if she is not in pain and suffering. Please call the Hospice Help Line. If they suggest drugs, ask them what the drugs will accomplish. You are in charge of what drugs you give, regardless of their advice, but you might as well at least listen to their advice.
Reply to jeannegibbs

I forgot to mention, about three days ago I gave her 1mg of adivan to help her sleep. She was crying and mumbling all night and wasn't able to fall asleep more than 5-10 mins at a time.
Reply to sguyton83